Trying to look on the bright side...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Applespider, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    ...I was heading home after work and a few drinks in the pub with colleagues and got mugged in my own driveway for my handbag.

The rat got away with my bag, my old phone (the new one fell out as he ran off luckily), my purse and my iPod! He was an opportunist, I hadn't had the iPod out on the way home since it was pretty late and I tend to be cautious.

I'm trying to look on the bright side. I'm OK, my insurance company should pay out and so I'll get a lovely new 4G iPod.

I know that it's a pretty OT post but my brain is wide awake despite it being 2.30am now and I can't sleep...

2. Mark James macrumors regular

Nasty, but you don't sound unduly worried.

North of the river, I trust?

3. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nope... South... adding to Southwark's crime statistics tho to give the police their due, they were here within 5 minutes to take me round the area in the car and try to spot the little sod - and there were 3 other crews looking for him too (must've been a quiet night!)

I think I'm still kinda shocked - it keeps creeping into my mind and I get a few shakes (probably why I don't want to go to bed right now) but I keep telling myself that it's over, I'm OK and there's not a lot I can do about it so being positive is the best thing... and then it creeps back in again! :(

4. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

Ive been to london a few times.. it always seemed to be fairly safe.. ut I suppose you can expect this from any major city... I for one would be terrified to go to mexico city :-D

5. Mark James macrumors regular

What? In my manor? I'll put the feelers out, love...

Does sound quiet for a Thursday night to get that scale of response. I suppose the drizzle dampens things down.

I know, and I shouldn't be facetious. From my experience these things do normally happen literally on your own doorstep, which can only add to the feeling of 'violation'. There's also an initial adrenaline buzz which (I guess) is there as a protection mechanism, but it sounds as though it's wearing off.

It seems as though you did the most important thing, which was 'remember to let go'. A friend of my sister ended up with a fractured shoulder blade in a similar situation last year, because she froze and was pulled over when the git ran with her bag.

Best thing to do is have a dram, aim for bed, and try to get some sleep. Sounds like a perfect excuse for a long weekend?

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm so sorry to hear of your assault. The most important thing is that you made it through it safely. Hopefully, they'll catch the bastard, but it's unlikely. You have your phone, you hopefully can replace everything else, and you're warm at home. Your nerves will calm down in a few days....

7. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

my x and i were in london once and somehow ended up south of the tymes...we ended up in the tube and let me tell you...things get bleak on that side of the river pretty fast.

sorry to hear about that. it still amazes me to here things like this. whats wrong with people. maybe its all about economics and desperate people...that and drugs im sure.

anyway, i've hit a rough spot too...keep your chin up and give yourself credit that you actually can in times like this.

8. Mark James macrumors regular

In defence of the Sarf, once you leave central 'tourist' London you're almost certain to hit a grim inner suburb, regardless of your direction of travel. And you're almost certain to reach something much more pleasant within a mile or so.

Yep, despite being bombarded with 'you've never had it so good' statistics by the government it's fair to say that economic inequality is increasing, and opportunities are decreasing. Desperation (and hence drugs) are the root of most of these street crimes.

Well said.

9. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

At least your dead corpse is not lying somewhere rotting in a storm drain. :D

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

It is no wonder you aren't sleeping! That is pretty scary... I had a near miss in my car a few weeks ago and that had me pretty riled up for a while, and it was a MISS!

11. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

yeah it was just my impression. L.A. is like that except its so and that grimness goes on for miles. maybe we'll turn it around one day. im waiting for this "to be cool you gotta be bad and slutty" phase to pass. we need better values.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

Having never been through something like that, I can't imagine what it must feel like - though I'm sure I would be in the same restless state of mind.

Hope you're able to get some sleep and can look at this in a new light tomorrow morning (no pun intended).

The thing that pisses me off about this kind of thing is not that they get away with something of monetary value - that can easily be replaced - it's that they steal your sense of security. That's the hard one to deal with...