Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve am

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Good evening all. hope you guys can help me i have a DVD of our wedding i would like to make a digital copy i can save onto my computer i have a external disc drive when i insert the dvd i can't see hot to save it
can you help? many thanks in advance.

Steve

Last edited:

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Since all you want to do is rip that DVD to your computer, the trial for that app lets you do 5 of them for free.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Yep, Handbrake is superb. Can do lots of other things too. It's very popular so there are loads of guides on the web on how to do what you need.

It's free!

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
As you can see, OP, there are several free options to choose from. Try them all and see which storage form you prefer the most ... whether it's a direct rip With Mac DVD Ripper (menus and such) ... or a lossless MKV ... or high quality encoded video file with Handbrake.

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
I've used Handbrake for years and love it but it no longer works with OS 10.11.2. Does any want know why?

I want to be able to put my movie on my iPad for watching so I guess I'd need mp4 format. What software (preferably free) works best for that?
[doublepost=1453670048][/doublepost]Also, which version of Mac DVDRipper Pro should I download? I see it has two options - stable version and older OS X 10.6.8. Many thanks!

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
If you want an exact copy of the wedding DVD, just insert it, and quit DVD Player. Then if you click on the DVD icon, you'll see a VIDEO TS folder. That's the whole DVD right there. You can copy to, and watch it from your computer using DVD Player, or make copies of it using burning software, such as toast, or possibly Disk Utility, although I haven't tried it with Disk Utility. Don't rename the Video TS folder or it won't play as a DVD. Just place it in another Folder with a name you want.

Handbrake is excellent if you want to rip the DVD file into it's various clips.

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Handbrake works fine mit 10.11.3. Do you have the latest version? Or maybe try a nightly build.

I didn't have 10.11.3. Updating now. I hope that will work! Thank you.
If you want an exact copy of the wedding DVD, just insert it, and quit DVD Player. Then if you click on the DVD icon, you'll see a VIDEO TS folder. That's the whole DVD right there. You can copy to, and watch it from your computer using DVD Player, or make copies of it using burning software, such as toast, or possibly Disk Utility, although I haven't tried it with Disk Utility. Don't rename the Video TS folder or it won't play as a DVD. Just place it in another Folder with a name you want.

Handbrake is excellent if you want to rip the DVD file into it's various clips.

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
The new update to Handbrake didn't work for me. It looks all scrambled and skips. Any more ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.