trying to organize iPhoto folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by downingp, Nov 24, 2006.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

I am fairly new to a mac and have put my pictures from my windows machine into the iphoto library. I am not sure I like the way iphoto groups my photos. I have everything stored under my "pictures" folder. I then I have data folder with pictures in it, an original folder with pictures in it, and then a modified folder with pictures in it. I understand why the modified picture folder is there, but what is the data folder there for? I also have a bunch of .data and .iphoto icons scattered throughout, do I need those?
    Another question I have is when I import new pictures from my camera it puts the pictures in a new "roll number" folder unless I name it specifically. What if I want to combine it with another folder later?

Sorry if I am unclear about things I will try and clarify if needed.

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Just let iPhoto manage your folder. You manage your photos in iPhoto. Thats how its supposed to work. If you mess with the files in the folder you risk breaking iPhoto.

It works exactly the same as iTunes but with images.

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have my itunes folder set up exactly how I want it; no extra folders, just artist folder/artist album etc. I guess I just like to be organized and whenever I open my pictures folder I see an unorganized mess.

4. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Yeah, it takes some getting used to. I had a hard time getting used to the concept as well - of not organizing by files in folders, but by adding keywords and albums for my photos, all managed from within iPhoto. Once you get used to it, it's a far better system.

For the several pictures that are important to me, and that I use often, I put them in a special folder also in my pictures folder. All you have to do is drag the photo from iPhoto to the Desktop. It makes a copy, rename it or whatever, and throw it into the folder that you'd rather manage in the traditional way.

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Generally, there's no need to ever open your pictures folder. Just drag or import your pictures into iPhoto and organize them through the app, not the folder. It can be an adjustment coming from Windows, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You need never open your iPhoto Library or iTunes Music folders if you are using iPhoto and iTunes correctly. These apps are designed to let you do everything you'd ever need to do with your image/music files from within the app.

Just let it go man, let it go.... :)

7. chuchichan2524 macrumors regular

It's hard to let it go when I discovered that iPhoto creates duplicates of files. Maybe not duplicates, but it creates copies of things, thumbnails, etc. This I believe just takes up disk space. So, it would be easy to let it go, but I also want to know what exactly is taking up my hard disk space. Know what I mean?

8. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

yeah i totally understand why this offsets switchers... It really bothered me, and I even posted about it here :)

It just seems very un-Apple for the explanation to be "Just do it this way, that's how it's meant to be done." In most other aspects of using a mac, you have much more control. I don't see why iPhoto can't organize its folders intuitively so that we could view them in the app AND in the finder. shouldn't be too hard...

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Here's a basic explanation of what iPhoto is doing - bear in mind that its main purpose is to help those with no concept of files/structure/editing be able to use their photos more easily.

If you leave it on the default settings, yes, it will make a copy of your image to put in its Library (in the Originals folders). If you're importing direct from a memory card, this is a good thing. If you're importing in from an existing file structure, it means you lose HD space. There are two options here - either change to use iPhoto's option that uses your file structure or just archive off those folders to another drive/DVDs and delete them from your HD. I did the latter - since it meant I still have backups but don't take up disk space.

If you modify a picture, then iPhoto leaves the original in place but now displays your modified picture in the 'Modified' folders. The good news is that you can go back to it at any point. The bad news is that if you edit most of your pictures, you do take up more HD space. I'd love for their to be an option that deletes the original picture after a period of time or that you could flag to do so. But as it stands, there's not.

The Data file holds thumbnails of all your pictures. Part of the import process creates thumbnails of the pictures. These are a reasonable size and means that when you use the size slider in the photo library, it can display the image without doing lots of processing to resize the full image on the fly. It's not until you go into the edit screen that you're really using the full-size image. These aren't all that big - 30-40K per picture - so while it's taking up space, unless you have a tiny HD, it's not all that big.

The other files - the .data, .iphoto and albums.xml - keep track of what you're doing with the pictures - what pictures are in which albums, what ratings/keywords/comments you've assigned as well as some of the additional information like Makernote from your camera. They take up virtually no space on your HD - my biggest one is the Library.iphoto one at 13MB on several thousand pictures. You definitely need all of these and you need to leave the files where they are - don't tidy them all into a subfolder. As others have said, you don't need to work on your pictures through the Finder so you should never have to see them.

To be fair, I do think that went away after iPhoto 6. It was semi-logical before (year, month, date) but it is very easy to find things in the Finder now given that the folders are named the same thing as they are in iPhoto. The problem is that if you start working on pictures outside iPhoto, then the entire way in which that's built (using the data files etc) falls apart since it has no reference for what you've changed/added/deleted and will look for things which are no longer there.

Bear in mind that when you delete things in iPhoto, they don't go to the normal trash. Instead they sit in iPhoto's trash and you have to empty it separately.

This is the easy one. If you want to combine a roll (say your pics from an event and a pal's pics that they send you later) then all you have to do in iPhoto (assuming you work with the film roll option turned on) is highlight the pictures in one roll and drag them into the other. Behind the scenes in the Finder, iPhoto will have moved them into the other folder for you. Similarly, if you import some pictures and they are of different events, then you can create and name a "film roll" and drag some into the new roll.

10. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

11. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for all the suggestions.

So in the iphoto library folder it separates the photos into years. For example, I have a 2004, 2005 and 2006 folder. Should I not worry about creating subfolders within the 2006 folder or will iphoto do that for me?

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Don't create or delete any folders in the iPhoto folder from the Finder yourself

iPhoto will create folders named after your film rolls in each year's subfolder and create a new 2007 folder all on its own. If you change a name inside iPhoto or add a new 'roll' in iPhoto or delete a roll in iPhoto, you'll see those folders change/appear/disappear in the iPhoto library

13. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I create a smart folder, will the smart folder show up in iphoto library under the correct year?

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

No because a 'smart folder', like an album, isn't real. Your images are all stored in the rolls they arrived in. The smart folder or album is just a 'virtual' view in iPhoto. The data to tell iPhoto which image to show in which folder is in that albums.xml file.

You can use smart folders/albums in some other apps though (or in Automator) to do other tasks. Within iPhoto you can do quite a lot with the pictures inside an album - slideshows, exporting, uploading, photo prints etc

15. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

as I stated earlier, I switched from windows to OSX. I transferred all my photos from my windows machine into the picutres folder. Before I transferred over my photos, I already had my folders and subfolders. So now when I go into iphoto library it is arranged: pictures folder-> iphoto library-> 2006 folder->House folder, holidays folder, wedding folder, etc. Should I leave it the way it is or start from scratch and just put all my phots under the 2006 folder without any subfolders.

sorry for all the questions.

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Leave it as it is.

If you go into iPhoto and to the View Menu you can choose to view by film roll (folder), if you do that you might get more understanding of what it is doing. You'll see them in iPhoto split into those categories too without having to create new folders/albums