Trying to run Sims 1 in Rosetta, but no checkbox...any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Games' started by gopena, Dec 7, 2006.

1. gopena macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2006
    Well, I finally found my Sims one disk so I thinugh i would have at it on my new MacBook I got in sept. so I installed:
    Not Livin large (I have the one with a classic installer :( )
    and Superstar

And I ran it and it was running awfully slow, so i decided to see if it would run in rosetta, and it wont... :(
    Are there any UB patches for this or is there any workaround for rosetta mode?

Any help would be appreciated
  2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    The Sims 1 is PowerPC-only. That means it is ALWAYS running in Rosetta. For PowerPC binaries, there is no checkbox. It's only Universal Binaries that have the checkbox, letting you choose to run it natively, or to run the PowerPC code via Rosetta.

When you 'Get Info' on an application, look in the 'General' section. The first line says 'Kind: Application (PowerPC)' if it's PowerPC only, which means it will ALWAYS run in Rosetta.
    If it's a Universal Binary, it will say 'Kind: Application (Universal)', and have the 'Open using Rosetta' check box to force the PowerPC code to run.
    If it's Intel-only (very few apps are this way, but some release completely separate Intel and PowerPC builds,) it will say 'Kind: Application (Intel)', and again, not have the Rosetta checkbox, since it CAN'T run in Rosetta.

Note also that some Universal apps can disable the ability to run in Rosetta. iLife is this way. (You can't force iMovie to run its PowerPC code through Rosetta the way you could, say, Safari.)

So if The Sims is slow, it's slow, and there's nothing you can do about it. Short of hope that Aspyr releases a Universal Binary for it. (EA develops the game, but a company called Aspyr converts them to run on the Mac, so they would be responsible for creating a Universal Binary.) It appears that they released an update to run "The Sims 2" Universal, but not the older just plain "The Sims".
  3. gopena thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2006

So Im still screwed if i get the sims and everyhitng for it on DVD, or is that universal?