Trying to set up file server (personal use)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by fBaran, Feb 15, 2005.

1. fBaran macrumors regular

I perfected the art 2 years with an XP box, but since then have completely forgotten basically everything.

I have
    • Verizon DSL
    • an iBook and an eMac
    I have set up a NO-IP.com account, and dynamic updating is on. When I go to username.hopto.org, it asks me to log in, but it logs into my router. How do I make it log into my eMac (file central) so that I can access my files on the road or at school with my iBook?

My DHCP is automatic (I guess, it's not the manual one). My IP is 192.168.1.100 (router is ".".1.1).

I'm looking to access my machine through Terminal (I guess telnet or ssh, or whatever is used).

I hope I haven't left out any info. If so, hit me up! Thanks for your help.

I have this done so far:

Attached Files:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

What router do you have - or is the home Mac just hooked up to the DSL modem?

Sounds like you need to forward web (port 80) and/or SSH (port 22, maybe 23) to your Mac.

3. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

Both are wireless to a LinkSys 802.11b router.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Then just go into your router (likely 192.168.1.1) and add in HTTP and SSH ports (see example image).

Attached Files:

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Oh and turn on Personal Web Sharing in System Preferences...->Sharing->Services if you want to get to your web server (not sure if you do). Also, I'd turn off FTP Access in that same panel (better to use sftp or scp) unless you know you need it.

6. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. Now, how would I access the eMac when I'm out? Would it just be in Terminal "ssh xx.hopto.org" ?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

ssh -l your_user_name xx.hopto.org

That should work.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just to make sure the IP address of the eMac always agrees with the one you set up in your router, it's best to go to System Preferences...->Network->Built-in Ethernet->TCP/IP and set up "Configure IPv4:" as "Using DHCP with manual address", then set up your IP address as, say, 192.168.1.100, then go to your Linksys router and tell it to start DHCP addresses at, say 192.168.1.101. Then, power failure or whatever, the eMac will always have the address to which the router routes SSH traffic.