trying to set up sharing on uni network

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by virividox, Feb 27, 2004.

1. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    running 10.3.2

i have personal file sharing turned on and windows file sharing turned on

other mac users can connect fine to me under personal file sharing

but when i give windows people my adress (thats given byt he windows file sahring under network panel) they cant connect.

what gives is there a step they need to do?

2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Couple things that I thought about:

1 - Each user has to have an account, or a generic "Guest" account. If people are connecting from Macs, then you've probably already done that. If not, it'll need to happen.

2 - I think there's a separate preference in the Account pane of System Preferences that says "Allow Windows Login" or something like that. That could be the culprit.

Good luck...
    cpjakes

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

For Windows users to connect you'll have to give them your password or create a new account and give them the pass to that. Even then Windows users will be able to see the entire home folder instead of the public folder. That said, you might want to find and download Sharepoints and configure specific folders for sharing. The reason Macs connect fine is that OSX automatically recognises the guest login whereas windows does not. It needs an account to associate with.

4. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    okay i did all that,

i think its human error, ill have to go to the pc and show them how to work it. oh well

thanks