Trying to setup my router, going to kill somebody.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DeathChill, Mar 25, 2007.

1. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Alright, I just bought a Macbook and so I had to buy a wireless router along with it. I figured setup would be easy as I already had a router in place and just a simple switch out and a clone of my mac address and BAM it'd be done. Well, I tried that and I can only get my Mac Mini working, with my PC being unable to connect and the wireless not working either.

Anyone know what the hell I'm doing wrong? When my Mac Mini is connected it uses a real IP address rather then a 192.168.XXX.XXX one, so I can tell that's not right. It's fairly frustrating considering I'm limited in terms of options in the firmware and I can't see anything to change.

It's a D-Link WBR 1310 by the way

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I hate to add any more frustration, but maybe you could be a little more specific on what part of the set up you keep hitting a roadblock because right now it is sort of just a rant, which is essentially what I would be doing if I were in your spot too so I completely get it, but I just don't quite understand how it is that we can help you.

3. DeathChill thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I've got my router all plugged in to everything and I'm on my Mac Mini toying with the settings. I cloned my MAC address as I'm on Shaw (BC resident) and if you don't you can't connect more then one computer.

I've done this, but my other computer can't connect and my wireless network doesn't work either. When my Mac Mini connects to the router (directly through a cable) it gets an actual IP address instead of an IP like 198.162.xxx.xxx. So now I can get on the Internet on my Mac Mini but none of my other computers.

4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

and to tie the two points together, you are trying to connect your other computers by way of wireless and with the mini connected, the wireless does not work. Do I have this correct?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There's no problem with Shaw connecting multiple computers through a router. Unlike Telus, they don't even provision the connection for a specific MAC addess, so there's no need for cloning. You are making things too difficult.

What it looks like you have done is disabled NAT on the router. NAT (Network Address Translation) takes your single IP that Shaw assigns you (24.123.234.1 lets just say) and creates an internal network for your computers, with protected internal address (192.168.1.x - this varies by brand of router.)

I suggest your reset the router (there should be a procedure involving a pinhole button on the back) and start your setup again. Use a wired machine to get on the router configuration address - change the admin username and password immediately. Write this down in the router manual. Then do the setup. Do not Clone a MAC address. NAT should be on by default. DO set it to do DHCP (again, should be default). Make sure the wired machines have connectivity, then move to the wifi side. You may have to manually enter DNS server IPs, probably not though.

6. DeathChill thread starter macrumors 68000

Yessir you are correct. I can get the Mini working but the wireless will not work. I think the cable going to my other computer is broken as I noticed a kink and I can't get it to connect to anything regardless so I am more focused on the wireless network at this moment.

7. skwij macrumors 6502

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but try using a different browser to get into your D-Link settings. A buddy of mine found that Safari didn't allow him to set up his new D-link, but Firefox did.