Trying to use my HD backup... how?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Reno404, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Reno404 macrumors member

Ok guys, so here I am now, with my new BlackBook and the backup from the previous one on an external HD.
    When I double click the image file on the HD, a new driver pops up on my desktop. It's white, and reads "Macintosh HD1". Ok i'm a noob but i suppose that's the name the guy at apple store gave.
    When I double-click that, I have the 5 directories that I also have on my "real" HD (Apps, Library, System, Users, ...).
    Now I tried naively to select them all, copy them, and past them on my local disk. After counting up to 50.000 items to copy, he said I didn't have the proper authorisations to do this. I'm logged in with admin powers.
    How should I restore my Macbook the way it was on the previous computer?
    Using the disk utilities, i can't find a proper file to just dubble-click for everything to go easy...

I guess this is a piece of cake for you but... HELP ME :D

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

After mounting the Disk image, try an use the Migration Assistant found in Applications > Utilities

3. Reno404 thread starter macrumors member

Are you positive on that? That sounds almost too easy! :)

I'm clean installing OS X now, with all the drivers and languages gone... I'll try it when that's done. Thanks for the advice if it works!