Trying to use 'Personal Web Sharing'

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Will Cheyney, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Jul 13, 2005
    United Kingdom
    OK, so I'm trying to use OS X's personal web sharing...
    I've used it successfully in the past, but when I've gone to use it today, it wont work.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that I am using a wireless router.
    The address I am told I (and indeed, others) can view my computers website on is the IP address for my NETGEAR router - and obviously doesn't work for anyone external from my network.

How can I set it up so that people who aren't on the same network as me can view my personal website?
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    You need to use the Admin functions of the Netgear to set up port forwarding (or 'virtual server') on yout Netgear router to send port 80 to the IP address of your Mac web server machine.

That's a problem, if you think about it, if your machine is set to DHCP, because when you reboot the mac, it will ask for and be assigned an IP address from the router in a semi-random way depending who else is connected to the router.

So you need to set up your Mac with a Manual IP address so that you can assign the port forward to tit and it won't change. Before you change it to manual write down all of the Network settings so you can reenter them manually. You may have to get DNS (name server) addresses from your ISP if you don't see them displayed.

(You have changed the Admin password on the Netgear to something other than the default password, yes? And checked that running a web server doesn't violate the terms of your ISP agreement?)