Trying to Use QuickCam 4000 Webcam (USB)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mcmike100, Feb 13, 2005.

1. mcmike100 macrumors member

I just tried connecting my QuickCam 4000 to my PowerBook and it installed correctly. I can use the picture-taking program from Logitech, but when I try to use iChat it says I need a firewire webcam.

Is there any free software that will allow me to use mine? Also, what's the best free way of video chatting with a Windows XP user?

Thanks

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Try iChatUSBCam. Not free, but only $10. And it works pretty well.

You can chat with Windows users via AIM on Windows.

3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

They really need to come out with better (read more) firewire cameras. I don't want to have to use my mini-dv camera for chatting. ( note- i use AV rarely so i don't need a iSight) If they would sell them cheaper...

kyle

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'll second that. I can borrow my dad's DV cam but it's a right pain and that doesn't help things at the other end. I'd love an iSight, but they're pretty expensive, and I'd need at least 2.

There are millions of cheap USB webcams for like £10-15 in the shops but they don't mention Mac drivers, and - come on - we want decent images and video. There doesn't really seem to be any choice out there.

5. mcmike100 thread starter macrumors member

6. markoibook macrumors regular

Hi I have a Quickcam 4000, and when I installed the Mac software, it did nowt! Did you download the software from the Logitech website or did it come with the camera.
    I'm not too fussed really, as the camera is used mainly with my PC as part of a research project I have been working on.

7. mcmike100 thread starter macrumors member

I donwloaded it through Logitech's website and it worked.

8. phillygurlj macrumors newbie

webcams for mac os x

ok, i'm new to all this...

i don't know what drivers are n all this other sutff btu i have an imac with mac os x... i want to know which webcam i should buy (limited budget here!) and what software and stuff to buy...

what's the quickcam 4000 webcam, will it work with my computer and wat do i do about software for that?

also whats the ichatUSBcam...?