TS: new iPod details

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nagromme, Oct 9, 2005.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Same iPod prices, according to ThinkSecret today--and only minor feature changes (not video), but smaller casings and maybe more GB. Best of all--available in black now (no surprise).

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0510oct12c.html

As for Macs, no new details--they just say "at least four new configs." Four doesn't sound like enough for PowerMacs AND PowerBooks.

My guess if there are only four: that PBooks will get such a minor update that it will happen separately from the Wednesday event. Dual-core PowerMacs will be the four new Macs. (But TS says "at least" four, so PBs are still possible.)

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Good news either way...

I would really like to see the PB's get a good update though.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

although if "one more thing" is only a black iPod / new form factor, I will be very disappointed.

4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Somehow I keep thinking There's something more.
    TS isn't offering much more than what we already know.

Apple would not hold a media event and use TEXTBOOK MARKETING in the process to unveil speed bumps and higher capacity iPods. Those things are usually done on Tuesday updates.

PS: When I was talking to Apple Care today they said that Monday (10th) is a holiday for Apple and many departments weren't working.
    What holiday is this. :confused:

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Black onyx Mac finishes... you heard it hear first. :D

6. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

oh please god no, if there is a black one i would be forced to buy , sobs quietly in the corner as his credit card dies

7. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Agreed. The Macs and iPods will lead up to Steve saying "one more thing..." And that will be something else entirely.

Also, a black iMac G5 would be about the coolest thing ever :) And I think we WILL get black consumer Macs within a year. Black is A) a fit for Apple's minimalist style, and B) selling better than white, with the nano. Apple will respond. Pro Macs will stay aluminum I hope--industrial and durable.

8. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Columbus Day :rolleyes:

It's a federal holiday so a lot of people have off.

9. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I thought a black iMac would arrive soon when I saw the Nano
    ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1728248#post1728248 ) and I still think it is going to happen everytime I go into a shop with my brother-in-law to buy him a black Nano and there are only white ones in stock.

However I don't believe Apple would announce a Media event just for this or some upgrades.

Maybe a phone - cus the Moto thing is awful to hold and look at.
    iPod video - because it is already possible if you put Linux on your iPod.

To get the event going - Black Macs to remind us that Apple make computers as well.

The world is watching and waiting - now that's advertising.

10. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

I don't know that black Macs will happen yet, but with the next (maybe Intel) revision I bet they'll be an option. There would have to be black keyboards and mice, too--and with BT and wired versions, that adds a lot of products for Apple to deal with and manage inventory on. Making color choice a feature on the top consumer models would help pay for that.

Here's how I see it happening:

* Pro Macs - aluminum with black trim (sides of Cinema Displays) and peripherals (BT standard)

* eMacs - still white only

* Bottom model iBook, Mac Mini and iMac - white only

* High model (built-in BT) iBook, Mac Mini and iMac - choice of white or black

* Wired keyboard and mouse - white only

* BT keyboard and mouse - choice of white or black, standard with high model iMacs (but please make rechargeable via USB!)

* AirPort, chargers, etc. - still white

* "Special Edition" iPods, Mac Minis, iBooks, and iMacs to try out limited other colors. Accessories still white or black.

* Custom colors of iPods and iBooks offered for bulk orders (schools, company promos)

So white would be low-end, black and aluminum would be pro, and in the middle would be the choice of white or black.

11. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Colorware already have!

13. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I would have bought an ipod from colorware a long time ago but they charge $80 shipping to oz :eek: with the additional cost of paint that makes it approx 35% more expensive than standard :mad: I will just take white (hopefully black soon) from apple

14. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I would like to see a black bluetooth mouse...like the Apple Pro Mouse from 3 years ago.

15. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Those old black Pro Mice were slick, I forgot about those! Same shape as other Apple mice, but with the thick clear shell. But that thick casing (like the white corded Pro Mice) didn't have room for BT inside.

16. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

If this is a growing trend of putting black across the range, I hope its still an option... I'd prefer a white iMac over a black one anyday. The black nano is cool, I might even get one at some point, but I'm not ready for black Mac's just yet.
    I like my PB aluminium!

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The return of the QuickTake.

No doubt in my mind.

18. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I just can't believe that Apple would throw an event called "One More Thing..." and then just release some speed bumps and an incremental iPod update. Usually those things are done quietly with no announcement other than on apple.com. If they're announced at an event, they're casually announced by Steve, and the "One More Thing..." is always something big and usually unexpected.