Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
JAKARTA (Reuters) - A tsunami hit the southern coast of Indonesia's Java island after a powerful offshore earthquake, Transport Minister Hatta Rajasa said on Monday.

"There has been a tsunami hitting Pangandaran Beach but I don't how big," he told Jakarta-based Radio Elshinta. Pangandaran Beach is in West Java province.

One caller told Elshinta she had seen three bodies after a wave struck. It could not immediately be confirmed.

link

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
Thats terrible.

I do love how every major news website does not even mention on its front page anywhere that I can see about how at least 339 people just died. This is getting very little coverage. And I guess the networks are right not to. In this little macrumors world, in over a day this will only be the second comment on this thread. The people there now homeless and whom have lost love ones have my prayers.

edit: ah, just found one on cnn.com

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah, I know, happened yesterday.

Australian survivors reported up to six 5m tsunamis that hit the shore.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
runplaysleeprun said:
Thats terrible.

I do love how every major news website does not even mention on its front page anywhere that I can see about how at least 339 people just died.
If it weren't for the current Middle East thing, it would be all over the news. Bigger stories going on right now. Sad but true.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
The media is a funny thing, they show us all the things that will get them numbers, but in doing so we become desensitised about the things happening in our world because we are not part of the suffering, in turn the media now has to show us more contrevertial and shoking things to get the numbers. The sad side effect is that we have become incredibly desensitised to the suffering of others, and "minor" events like these go unoticed. I was actually in Thailand with the boxing day tsunami, the media started by understating it, and over time it became world news, people were worried about their families and world aid organisations got involved. Funny how when so many were impacted accross the world everyone jumped to support the region.

Now? Will Hollywood go to Indonesia this time?

My heart goes out to the people of the west Java coast.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Lollypop said:
The media is a funny thing, they show us all the things that will get them numbers, but in doing so we become desensitised about the things happening in our world because we are not part of the suffering, in turn the media now has to show us more contrevertial and shoking things to get the numbers. The sad side effect is that we have become incredibly desensitised to the suffering of others, and "minor" events like these go unoticed. I was actually in Thailand with the boxing day tsunami, the media started by understating it, and over time it became world news, people were worried about their families and world aid organisations got involved. Funny how when so many were impacted accross the world everyone jumped to support the region.

Now? Will Hollywood go to Indonesia this time?

My heart goes out to the people of the west Java coast.

Over a quarter of a million people were killed on 26th Decmber 2004.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
dynamicv said:
If it weren't for the current Middle East thing, it would be all over the news. Bigger stories going on right now. Sad but true.

Just think what would happen if this thing hit the Middle East. It would be huge news. No earthquakes or anything seems to happen there in recent times. It is a very peaceful place except for the people fighting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.