Tsunami Hits West Java Coast

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Jul 17, 2006.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

link

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, 116 views and not one reply.

Anyway, tragic. Indonesia has really been s*** on over the past 2 years.

3. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Thats terrible.

I do love how every major news website does not even mention on its front page anywhere that I can see about how at least 339 people just died. This is getting very little coverage. And I guess the networks are right not to. In this little macrumors world, in over a day this will only be the second comment on this thread. The people there now homeless and whom have lost love ones have my prayers.

edit: ah, just found one on cnn.com

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, I know, happened yesterday.

Australian survivors reported up to six 5m tsunamis that hit the shore.

5. Queso macrumors G4

If it weren't for the current Middle East thing, it would be all over the news. Bigger stories going on right now. Sad but true.

6. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

The media is a funny thing, they show us all the things that will get them numbers, but in doing so we become desensitised about the things happening in our world because we are not part of the suffering, in turn the media now has to show us more contrevertial and shoking things to get the numbers. The sad side effect is that we have become incredibly desensitised to the suffering of others, and "minor" events like these go unoticed. I was actually in Thailand with the boxing day tsunami, the media started by understating it, and over time it became world news, people were worried about their families and world aid organisations got involved. Funny how when so many were impacted accross the world everyone jumped to support the region.

Now? Will Hollywood go to Indonesia this time?

My heart goes out to the people of the west Java coast.

7. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Over a quarter of a million people were killed on 26th Decmber 2004.

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Just think what would happen if this thing hit the Middle East. It would be huge news. No earthquakes or anything seems to happen there in recent times. It is a very peaceful place except for the people fighting.