TubeStick

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacDonaldsd, Mar 13, 2007.

1. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I don't know what you are looking for here. I mean, if it was more expensive people would moan - so they make it competitively priced and guess what, people still moan.

I wouldn't count on it being rubbish. There is no reason for companies to charge what they do for Freeview tuners when they are so cheap to make - even the good ones.

Especially with the Mac market, this is one area where we have been ripped off by Elgato and Miglia because there were so few players. I am not saying that Elagto's and Miglia's products are bad - just very overpriced.

It is about time someone undercut the competition to try and give us a better deal.

I have used many of Equinux products before, and they are great.

David

3. illustratorDavi macrumors 6502

Hi

I'm interested in this product aswell. Just noticed its now available in the uk but what stops me from pressing "buy" at the moment is the fact that the company doesn't give us any spec. Whats the resolution ? fps ?

I'm waiting for a magazine review to come out - i'm sure macformat will cover this bargain soon :)

David

4. nestormakhno macrumors newbie

We'll soon find out

I just took the plunge and ordered one of these. £30 didn't seem too much to risk and I've been keen to get some sort of Freeview player for my iBook. The digital signal where I live is very strong so, fingers crossed, I hope I shouldn't have too many problems.

Will let you know how I get on...

5. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Cheers Mate.

6. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Yeah, I'm considering getting one too. It's not that I'm worried about it not working great though because I've got a lot of confidence in this company. Just trying to find a way to justify it!

Let us know how you get on. See if my expectations of this company are met.

David

7. blaaat macrumors member

I've got one, it works perfectly, it's sharp and smoothly, better than expecteded. The only thing is that in the Netherlands i can only recieve free-channels, would be much cooler if i could recieve them all (they are encoded so you have to pay, but tubestick doesn't decode).

Heard that in some country's all channels are available for free..

8. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

If you record TV what file formats does it output it as ?

9. blaaat macrumors member

Looked into it:

It saved the recording as a special format (Quicktime or Realplayer doesn't play it). You can export the movies to Ipod Video, but this is a really slow proccess.. Took me about 10minutes to convert a 3min video @ full cpu usage :)apple: MB CD 1.86).

I think only the 2 applications that came with the TubeStick can play the video's. So you can't really share video's, a negative point.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What is the software you are using to encode the video? Do not use Elgato's EyeTV software to save recordings for iPod or any other format. Don't even use Toast to convert to mpeg-2. I HIGHLY recommend using a App like VisualHub which takes full advantage of multiple core processors. On my Mac Pro, it encodes at blazingly fast speeds by using all 4 of my cores to the MAX. I can encode an entire full length movie in about 30 minutes to MPEG-2 to make it ready to burn to a DVD.

11. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I got my TubeStick yesterday and it works wonderfully besides the fact the supplied ariel is useless. I hocked it up to my roof top ariel and I get all the channels and the image is crystal clear. Very pleased.

12. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

cool! that's equivalent to a bit less than $60. does anyone know when these'll be available in the US (obviously using something other than DVB-T)?