Tucker (MSNBC) praises French Terrorism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Aug 14, 2005.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

link

As usual Americans define terror not by the act, but by who's doing it and why.

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"As usual Americans define terror not by the act, but by who's doing it and why."

I didn't know mactastic and IJ were like that...

'Rat

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not just Americans. All countries at present engaged in military occupation of other countries.

4. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Which basically leaves us with Luxembourg as the only country with a moral high ground to stand on. Depressing, ain't it?

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

[OT] The French government did this?

Apologies for going slightly off-topic, but the incident in question happened in 1985, when I was fifteen years old and so I don't remember much about it. (At the time I was interested in much more important things, like girls and cars). Were the French secret service agents who planted the mines authorized by the government to do so, or were they acting on their own? Feel free to redirect me to some other source as appropriate...

6. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

You don't mention yourself?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Am I meant to resent that remark or resemble it?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whether or not they were authorized by the French government, they were certainly - and shamefully - supported by them afterwards.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As usual, IJ, you're the exception that proves the rule...
    ;)

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Here's one link there are many sources out there.The French behaviour was outrageous a Spanish photographer was killed and the two French agents were held in a French Pacific jail for two years(in probably luxurious conditions).The wreck was sunk off Northland NZ as a fish haven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Warrior

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They weren't even held in jail, just not allowed to leave the island. They were released early, and came home to a hero's welcome. And they talk about "perfidious Albion" indeed!

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well then consider me even more confused. That's what I get for going on a nice vacation to a quiet place that doesn't have news.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm a little unsure whether that's a dig at me or a compliment of some kind myself.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, IJ, I get a bit tired of the grand, sweeping "all" implied in the quote. It seems the words "some" or "a few" or "many" don't exist in some folks' vocabularies.

:), 'Rat

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The point is taken -- but once again we've got a prominent conservative commentator making a rather startling remark which nobody on his side of the political fence seems to be in any kind of hurry to disown. The right wing chattering classes seem to have no accountability within their own ranks. No matter how great the outrage, they consistently get a pass from their compatriots. I hope this observation isn't too grand or sweeping, but I've made it many times before, and so far as I can tell, the situation hasn't changed one iota.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm still not sure whether your tired of me and IJ doing that, or whether you are giving us props for not being as sweeping in our assesments...

And I'm sure you're just as tired of the sweeping generalizations about 'libs' going on in another thread?

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

What's a "Tucker Carlson"? He doesn't speak for me; I never heard of him. I don't care where in the political spectrum somebody is; when they spout BS, somebody oughta call'em on it. Or at least ask, "Are you sure you meant that the way it sounds to me?" The listener (reader) has no obligation to understand; the speaker (writer) has a duty to make himself understood.

mac, you and IJ are generally pretty specific in your views in your postings. Regardless, y'all don't fit the "all" implicit in the opening poster's comment.

As far as liberals or Liberals, I don't see any ALL in either the people or their views. I'm not about to get into any bashing. Pointless endeavor, anyway. Again, I say that often my argument with Libs is not with the goals but the efficacy of the means toward those goals. It depends on the issue.

Wandering off the subject, there are a lot of things where I feel that I can see an answer. (Not "the" answer; "an" answer.) However, if I don't believe the answer is politically viable, why waste my time bringing it up?

If a Liberal proposes a course of action with which I disagree, I don't think he's stupid or evil. I'll argue about the idea, not about his character. Same for a NeoCon...

'Rat

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Which is as it should be. Thanks for the clarification.