Tuesday 27th April - What's next?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aswitcher, Apr 22, 2004.

1. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well two Tuesday's (the second was Monday but close enough in my time zone) running Apple has hit us with emacs and 'books, so surely there is something else for this coming Tuesday.

So what's next?

G5iMacs...nah new form factor will require a Jobs presentation.

New form factor screens...again, Mr Jobs methinks. + we have the promotion at present running out just before WWDC

New PMs...yep I think that's a possibility, but no 3GHz until later this year.

New iPods...again, would likely be a jobs thing unless its just a harddrive size upgrade.

Is that it for new revs?

2. Gherkin macrumors 6502

3. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Better resolution? -> HD support for 20"?

Anything bigger than 23"?

4. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Have you already ordered your PB ?

6. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Just getting final quotes in from resellers. Plan to order tomorrow or mid next week :)

Why, some reason to hold off?

7. James.Paul macrumors regular

Nothing on the 27th. The 28th I think is the anniversary of the Music Store. I'd go with an announcement on sales and an iPod release and possibly some new accessories. I hope there is an expansion in the Music Store. Would love it to be europe but i don't expect that.

8. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Have they wrapped up Canada yet?

And Japan would be another must do market for Apple I would have thoughts...

9. James.Paul macrumors regular

Heard some quotes still saying that agreements haven't been reached but am not sure when those comments were made. they cant be far away!! and they are going to happen.

10. Zaty macrumors 65816

To be honest, my first thougth would have been new iMacs (G4, up to 1.5GHz) but reading the posts I was reminded that April 28 marks the first anniversary of the iTMS launch. Therefore my bet is new iPods (20, 30, 50). iMacs will come soon anyway, but not next.

11. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah iPods are a good bet. They need to figure out the range as the 15 and 20 are too close together (even with the 20gigs extras).

I think 20, 30, 50 or possibly 20, 40, 60 would work.

Maybe other features as well that people have been asking for, like the ipod mini wheel arrangement possibly coupled with a bigger, indeed colour screen...

I also hope they do an ipod mini finish, that shinny metal coat gives iPods a refreshing look, and could have gone some way into beefing up sales in the US.

12. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

I am thinking no new hardware until WWDC, but I also expect some models to be held out until Paris Expo. Probably see G5 iMac or new Powermacs at WWDC, and the other of the two at Paris. If there are new displays then we would probably see them released along with the Powermacs. Apple needs to spread out their release dates a bit or we will be in the same mess we are in now... expecting product updates for everything so retail sales take a little slump.

13. Zaty macrumors 65816

What excactly do you mean by "some models to be held out until Paris Expo"? Apple needs to update both iMac and the PowerMac lines before Paris Expo. Since IBM is having yield problems with the G5, I don't think we'll see G5 iMacs before at least October. That's why they will release a new G4 revision soon. As for the PMs, they will probably be updated at WWDC.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Wednesday the 28th of course... :D
    I don't expect anything more until May/June...I may be wrong, but at least I am presently surprised when I am...

15. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

I wonder if the G5 is proving to be such a problem whether we will see another G4 iMac??? I hope not. I hope its a new form factor G5, but I do wonder...

16. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

OMG - NO ! There is no reason !!

17. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

In my opinion:

-Music Store Europe
    -iPod 4th generation
    -iMac
    -PowerMac
    -new displays
    -iPhone
    -iWorks
    -iNewton

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't really expect anything to be announced on Tuesday April 27th. If anything happens then we can be pleasantly surprised.

19. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

It would be hard to hold off on iMac upgrades for a long time. The 15" iMac is currently slower than the eMac, yet $500 more. Considering that the G5 iMac is probably delayed along with all other things G5, I'd expect an iMac bump sometime soon.

20. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

With all the updates lately it could be any day for any update. The PB's were on a monday and software was at NAB on a sunday. So the tuesday technique could all be shot. Personally i believe a iTMS and iPod things next week. iMac first few weeks of May in the last G4, unless they can work around with the 130nm process. With the PM's unveiled at WWDC unless IBM really ramps up production in the next week or so.

21. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Ok then, as long as you're sure that there is no reason to delay (PBG5s at WWDC for example ;) )

22. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I'd say the iMac needs to be updated next-eg. have a 128MB VRAM option for the FX5200-so it'd have the same video memory as most PC FX5200's and better audio (Intel has a new high-defination audio for PC's coming-something similar from Apple would be good for DVD playback), and maybe a 1.5GHz G4.

23. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

If I get your sig right - you have finally ordered ! Congrats.

Would be interesting for me what you wanna do with it ?

24. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Yep - you are right. The iMac is sooo overdue for an update ! If you put the iMac next to the eMac there is really no reason why to pay $1000 more just for the LCD screen.

Specs must improve a lot - best would be a G5 even if I doubt that and expect the G4 1.5 GHz.

25. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Much word processing, excel, internet, itunes, iphoto, several games over the next little while (UT4, 1942, Halo), and later this year I want to seriously get into iMovie and iDvd for a number of projects for the family which I think will push it hard. If iMovie doesn't cut it I'll move onto FCExpress. I also want to look at running forensic acquistion tools under Virtual PC as well as other apps on VP.