Tulsa Zoo To Feature Display On Biblical Creation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 17, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Considering they have other displays w/religious roots (plus the disclaimer) I don't see a problem w/this as long as it's 'round the same size and scope of the other displays.

Lethal

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The only relevance religious icons would have at a zoo is if they are related to the animals on display. Since christianity probits false god and idols, it would seem to be sacriligeous IMO.

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

That one's been about as successful as "Thou Shalt Not Kill" in stopping Christians from engaging in wars. As valid as your point is, it won't stop some christian believers from putting up crosses and little Jesus statues in every malt shop and beanery in America if they can get away with it. I think we have to look to a more secular source to stop this nonsense. I'm for removing every religious depiction if the Zoo is a publicly owned institution. If so, and the purpose of the Zoo is to instruct the public in the truth about the rest of the species that occupy our world, then let's keep all religion out of it. There are enough Churches, Synagogues, Temples and other religious institutions to provide their teachings to those who are interested.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd like to know more about the context of the existing religious symbols. is Ganesh by the elephant pen as an example of how some religions use animals in their iconography? i think relevance is king here.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So now even zoos need to be politically correct?

Well, I think if they're going to have elephants, they should also have a similar number of donkeys. By weight.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

and when you use the main zoo entrance, there's more zoo to your right than to your left. i demand balance.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

By the sound of things, they already have. Political iconography aside.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well if they're giving out religious iconography space everyone oughta jump on in. Is there a turtle with the earth on it's back there yet? I demand to see one immediately.

10. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

We can start by shipping everyone in the House and Senate out there.

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Why do they want to saturate our lives with religion. The religion we have now is not working properly, how would having more help any?

12. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

god created all the animals. that's all the relevance you need. maybe they'll have a little cross saying what time of the fifth day god created that particular animal.

pelicans- 8:07 AM
    giraffes- 8:11 AM
    dinosaurs- 8:15 AM

and so on...

that's funny. just thought i'd say that.