"tuner cars" and the idiots that drive them...

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by AlphaTech, Apr 9, 2003.

1. macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    Last night, I was on the way back to get my own vehicle after going to a wake (had car pooled since I had never been to where the wake was held). Going down the highway in moderate traffic when four (maybe five) little tuner cars came zipping up and weaving around traffic. It looked like they were racing, and came dangerously close to causing a few accidents in the processes. Later, when turning off the highway to get to my own vehicle, all of the tuner cars were pulled over by a highway patrol car, with all the drivers standing around and another vehicle (not one of the tuners) looked like it had been in an accident.

My question for the masses... What is your OPINION of these types of cars and those that drive them? Also, how stupid does their engine sound? Having a little 4 banger with a loud exhaust just sounds moronic. It [essentially] sounds like a model airplane, not a car. A better sound would come from a V6 or V8, a 4 banger just can't have a good audio quality, no matter what kind of exhaust system they install.

Personally, I believe that they are the reason insurance rates are as high as they are. I also think that they are several brain cells short of a pair. :eek: They rank right up there with the people who have 200watt+ stereo systems in their cars which you can hear inside your vehicle, even when a hundred (or more) yards away.

Feel free to rant and rave all you want. I'd like to hear from both sides of this.
  2. macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    what classifies a tuner car?...can i get a brand name or a picture?

3. macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness

U already had one post reported today. This was completed uncalled for. Please restrict yourself from racial/ethical slurs.
  4. thread starter macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    Tuner cars are typically Japanese cars that the owners have modified to try to get more speed out of them. That ranges from FIPK (high performance air intake systems), lowering, other engine modifications (including nitros) and more. The ones that are lowered are usually made too low to be safe under normal driving conditions. They bottom out when going over speed bumps, or into a driveway that is raised above the level of the road (as many are these days, where the roads have places for rain to run down). You can [usually] tell these cars by their sound, a very nasal sound at that.

They are nothing like the muscle cars of the past, or present, which actually sound good (nothing beats a throaty v8, except a v10).

That help any?
  5. macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
  6. macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    OOOHHH ok, now i know exactly what they are. and yes i also very much hate them. They have those huge spoilers and huge sides...and the really huge bass music systems, that when they turn up all the cheap plastic that the spoilers and sides are made from shakes and rattles. uhh..theres an ugly one parked outside this place that i walk past everyday i want to kick it.
  7. macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Re: "tuner cars" and the idiots that drive them...

Well, there are a lot of relaly cool little cars you can get nowadays. The subaru WRX for instance is a 225 horsepower 4 banger, and the STI version will put out 300 horsepower. It will out accelerate most BMW's and other performance car. Maybe thats a different category though, as its really more in the line of a cheaper performance car, rather than a tuner as you don't need to make any mods to make it a fast ass car. Same goes for the soon coming Mitsu Lancer evo and a host of other little cars out there that are high horspower 4 cylinder cars. Sure they don't sound quite as nice as BMW straight 6, but its a different market and cost 15k less.

Whats stupid is people who do things that are only cosmetic: coffee can style exhaust pipes that make it loud and obnoxious, but since they didn't change anything else about the exhaust, its not relaly helping them. Or these giant wings they put on cars that have absolutely no effect cause they'll never get the car going fast enough to make a different. Body kits that are cheap and badly painted and do nothing for aerodynamics.

All that said, there are some fun things you can do with a lot of these cars with forced induction, etc.

The problem isn't really the cars, its the few idiots out there who are just dangerous because they act like idiots on the road, race in inappropriate places, and just plain don't really know how to drive.

I might point out that such idiots exist in all sorts of market segments: highschool kids with big trucks, american muscle car people. Its got nothing to do with tuner cars, its got to do with idiot drivers.
  8. macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    see i like the subaru wrx a lot, but i never thought of those as on of these "tuner cars" unless you did modify it beyond belief. i see the wrx as a rally car, which the tuner cars are definitely not!
  9. macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Hey AlphaTech I agree. I can appreciate the technology that's in the Japanese cars but I'm from the old school too. Nothing like a big V8. These young kids these days have no respect for the big displacement engines of yester-year.
    I think all this started in California--where most trends start I guess.
    I'm salivating at the new Pontiac GTO that's about to come out soon. I'd like to get one.
    I use to have an IROC Z28 Camaro but I got rid of it because it was plagued with so many problems. Also, it got stolen. Twice. :rolleyes:
    I think towns should have a drag strip where these kids can take their cars and race them without risking the lives of the general public. They race at their own risk in that environment.

Young gearheads and souped up cars are never going to go away so I think we should let them risk their own necks in a place away from the public.
    That's how I feel.
  10. macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    The cars aren't really to my taste.... alittle OTT and IMHO dubiously styled, phat alloys I can understand, and subtle body tweeks.... but alot of them just go over the top, and look alittle hmmmmm tacky! But each to their own, and alot of these cars (the good ones that is) you can tell that the owner has put alot of time, effort and not to mention a ton of cash into creating them!!

As for the drivers... well I hate to tarnish everyone with the same brush.... not all of them are of the mindless "let's max it" mentality... some just cruise, showing off their creations! and respect for that! Others drive like t*ts, behave like t*ts..... nuff said I think!!

As for 4 cylinder engines... some of the sounds that emit from our local MacDonalds on a Sunday night are funny as f**k! and a £100 exhaust box really doesn't improve the sound of the engine, particularly when the engine is a stock 1.6 that needs to be redlined all of the time to keep with the flow of the traffic!!

That said, some 4 cylinders whilst obviously not been as sonically satisfying as a solid V8 or even better a V12, can totally demolish almost any car on a demanding, twisty drivers road.... I talk of (and evoluzione knows what's coming next, heh heh) cars such as the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8... one of the fastest and most fun out of the box A to B cars on the planet.... and one of the safest too thanks to 4WD, and YAW control!

But I have to admit the film 'Bullitt' wouldn't have been quite the same had McQueen driven a 4 cylinder pocket rocket!! :p :p :p
  11. macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2002
    i especially love it when these types of cars have the WRONG stickers on them (stickers that purport the car to be a higher model than it really is) or just put ugly, random stickers on the car thinking it will make the car go faster or something...

there's a couple of examples on this page...pretty funny stuff.
  12. macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Subaru's Impreza and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions (Lancia Integrale, Ford RS 200, Metro 6R4 before them) are more 'Homologation Cars' as opposed to tuner cars... and you know that these puppies have the development dollars into them to make them into 'Pukka' handling machines, that are pretty muchthe fastest things on 4 wheels on proper roads! Something spending a few quid down the local 'Max Power' shop simply isn't going to give you....

That said you can certainly tune the Subaru and Mitsubishi, in one of the current Uk auto mags, there's a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 with some 700BHP, with 60 coming up in 2.9 seconds and the ton in 6.....

Now, where's evoluzione??
  13. thread starter macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    I had thought of making some changes to my own truck (2002 Ranger, 4L v6) to increase the performance and/or fuel efficiency. Essentially, a K&N air filter and dual exhaust system. Both of those items increase the air flow in and out of the engine. The exhaust system would make my large v6 sound like a small block v8 (such as a 302 :D). I put the project on hold, until I have the funds to do both items at the same time. The air filter is about $50 but the exhaust system will run about $300-$400 depending on how I have them run the pipes. I have additional research to do before going with either item, since I want to be 100% certain that I won't loose any torque since I will be doing some towing in the future. I like the power I have now with the truck, it more then gets out of it's own way, merges into highway traffic easily and generally rocks. I've done some upgrades to the body of the truck in the form of a bug guard, vent shades (so that I can open the windows a little even when it's raining) as well as some bed protection items. Diamond plate on a black truck just looks sweet. :D BTW, the diamond plate IS fully functional as well as cosmetic. The bed rails/protectors prevent scratches when loading up the bed. I also went with a single, full sized diamond plate tailgate protector. With my bed extender (to give me 1-1/2' more bed length) the truck is MORE functional then before.

What I have done so far, and even with the two other additional modifications will NOT make it a tuner vehicle.

That being said, lowering a truck [to me] is moronic. Just like having a 4x2 truck where you get snow is just as stupid. This winter alone, I have used the 4x4 function more then a few times (typically at least once every snow storm, sometimes more). Ground clearance with trucks is a very useful feature. It's also nice to be able to see over the lowered cars in front of you.
  14. macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    :p :p :p I used to know someone who worked in a Sign Shop that also did vinyl decals, she was telling me about all the boy racers coming in wanting 'Turbo' decals cut.... probably to stick on the boot of their Metros.... (Small, slow, rusty brit car) :rolleyes: :p :p
  15. macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    So does your truck have selectable 4x4?
  16. Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I hate them...period.

They sounds like sonic farts more than sports cars. :rolleyes:

Good story though. A couple weeks ago I was driving home from dinner and pulled up on the side of some kid in his Civic. It had clear tail lights and all this crap all over it. Anyway, light turns green and we both just drive on to the stop sign ahead. All of a sudden I got a bug up my ass.

So I look over at him and we both take off. We're about neck & neck until I hit 6200 rpm, then I walked away from him. I finally backed off once I exited 2nd gear at 60mph, he was about 3 carlengths behind me. :D

Not that it's any better, but I do love my Matrix. It is stock, though, but still pretty damned fast for a 4cyl. And it doesn't sound like a fart, thank god! ;)
  17. macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    :p :p :p classic.... ;)

Most Japanese performance cars look better standard.... just better to spend the $ under the hood!! ;)

:eek: :eek: I speak yankee!! :p

I meant bonnet.... heh heh!
  18. thread starter macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    Yep, switch on the fly to 4x4 High... To engage 4x4 Low, I have to put it into N, but that's no biggie, since when I need that kind of power I'm typically stopped anyway and the rear wheels can't get a grip where they are (like in wet mud with nothing solid under them). I can use 4x4 High for almost everything, I just like to use the Low version once in a while. :D

Also, with the amount of torque that my truck has, I can easily spin my tires from a stop. It may have [only] 207hp, but it has gobs of torque which IS very important for trucks.
  19. macrumors 65816

Looking at that web page reminded me of the time I saw a white Geo Metro with a "Police Interceptor" badge on it...
  20. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    They're a pain - and I've seen the 'races' on the interstates. Glad to see some of them were actually caught.

I've also seen courses where they go to race against the clock for the best times (only seen one actual race by accident, I don't do this myself or have any desire).

But the modified exhausts are truly silly and I'd have to agree with eye on this one.

D :D
  21. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    Some things don't change..

I think this is funny:
  22. macrumors 68020

Jan 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I swear those kids don't know how to drive a manual... or if they do, their mods make it so they can air out the engine. I constantly blow them away and my jetta is completely stock 4cyl.

I just know how to drive... went to rally school and whatnot.

This page is ALWAYS a fave:

gotta love the letters and stuff
  23. macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i think they are awesome, i have many friends who have them. my friend just got his bmw for his 16th birthday and has modified the s*** out of it. still not as good as his dads 911 though.

24. macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    Hey AlphaTech

... haven seen you in a while.

My personal opinion is... they are stupid. But ... if they find a hoby.. they can do what ever they want. They do sound stupid and they look prety silly some times. My favoret is the 90lb rear wing on a front wheel drive car. The wing will only start to work after 120mph or so and it will do nothing for a front wheel drive car. It just adds weight to the car, decreases stability, decreases handeling, increases wind resistance, and ... looks stupid.

My main problem with them is that they think they are race car drivers. They tune it up so they can squez a little more HP out of the little motor and get some new tires but that does not mean you have a Porsha Turbo! And no matter what you do to your Civic si... it will not drive like a Porsha. There is a very dangerours hill near my place that the "racer kids" often die on. They think they know what they are doing, they think there low-profile tires can take them to indi, and they think they can drive..... so they die. Im all for natrual selection... but man, I just dont want one of those morons to take me out with them
  25. macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    My reply to this situation is....

Some cars look good and sound good while other s are just plain crap.

The cars don't bother me or even the people that drive them. They start to bother me though when they become dangerous and start to cause hazards that could kill people.