Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Discovered this new app today - http://www.tuneupmedia.com/
thought I'd get some hints from others that might already be using it.

It sounds maybe a little too good to be true - but as it says -
iTunes doesn't do the best job in my case -
As for Genius Mixes - I don't think it has a clue - if it uses anything similar to Pandora picking out of the library to make a playlist.
Itunes has a lot of work to getting even close.

If we had a choice - picking the parameters of what we want matched - that would make sense.

I'm also not using the latest iTunes - what came with 10.6.8, I'm fine with no more invasion.
I just hope there's no junk FaceBook app slide into this Tuneup app -
then we're done already.

Statements on the site -
TuneUp Doesn't Just Clean Up Your Music Library -
Now It Provides Lyrics, Too
TechCrunch, September 19, 2012

TuneUp Debuts Mobile App for Music ID and Tagging
BetaKit, April 19, 2012

TuneUp Takes On Shazam With Free (And Ad-Free) Mobile Music ID App
TechCrunch, April 19, 2012

Add Colour to Your Music With Album Art
Macworld Australia, October 20, 2011

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I've heard of mixed results with TuneUp. Also heard stories of it destroying the metadata people already had.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I have it and it works decently. Since this is not an application you'll be running daily, its quirks and flaws won't be as annoying.

1. It crashes. A lot. Just be patient, restart the program, and try again.
2. It does destroy your existing information on a song. It knows best! :rolleyes:
3. It sometimes mixes up cover art between songs. Some of my songs for two J-Pop groups have each other's cover art on their songs. Just delete the cover art and try again.

After all that pain and agony, eventually all those "Track 01" songs will become correct with accurate cover art. Just be patient.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Thanks -
Think I'll pass until something comes a long that's 10 out of 10 score.
Too much work goes into making it work as it is.
Finding album art that matches missed ones - usually not a big deal - I just google it.

It would be cool to come a cross an app that can be fine tuned to match 'beat' - and similar instruments.
I try to hand pick them as such - but it's tough.

joeatron

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
San Francisco
Hey all,

Joe from TuneUp here. Figured I would hop in quickly to address some of your concerns and questions.

- TuneUp is 80-95% accurate, depending on your music tastes. It does best w/ mainstream releases, but is able to recognize just about anything that's been commercially released. That includes foreign tracks, but obviously doesn't include something you recorded in your basement and most likely not an obscure remix.

- Your existing metadata will be overwritten by TuneUp, however - TuneUp provides results which you review before anything is saved.

- If you're interested to see how it works for your music collection, I would suggest checking out the free trial. You can download it from the TuneUp Media website.

Also, if you like the results your getting, we have a 30% off coupon code right now. Just enter SHINE30 in our store. Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.