TurboTax for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by longofest, Feb 23, 2007.

1. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

If anyone else uses TurboTax Deluxe for Mac, and has had errors crop up (this year they have really done a piss-poor job I must say) and their support isn't helping at all, then lets use this thread.

For instance, I have been plagued by an "Unknown Operating System Error" when trying to download my state tax stuff. I have found this post in the turbotax forums to be very insightful.

2. danny_w macrumors 601

3. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

the only problem i had was during the e-file process...i had an unknown error (no code), but the e-file actually did go through. i got my state refund today, 4 days later. :D

i do have to say, their support is not the best. there are a lot of people on the TT forums that are not happy!

4. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Just use www.turbotax.com and do the whole thing on the web... I have done it for the last two years..

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well, it's Intuit software. What do you expect?

Intuit sucks.

6. dirtleg macrumors member

I have used TT for years and had no problems with it this year or in the past. I was worried about my old G3 slowing it down this year, but not at all.

Side question: Any suggestions for a replacement for Quicken on a Mac. I have used Q for years and would like to switch when we upgrade to a new 20" iMac as soon as Leopard is released. Never been thrilled with Quicken.

Just askin'.

7. DeadSirius macrumors member

As a Schedule C filer, I bought TaxCut instead and saved about $50. It worked great, and also found about $80 in credits I wouldn't have known about.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

I thought that TaxCut abandoned Mac last year. I can't seem to find a Mac version anywhere.

9. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

It's packaged in the same disk as the windows version. You should be able to buy it anywhere. I almost bought TaxCut but went with TurboTax again. I haven't had any problems like you've mentioned.

Nuc

10. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Four straight years for me. Works great each time!

11. danny_w macrumors 601

Good. I guess they reinstituted it this year. I went to the TaxCut site and it said that "TaxCut for Mac is Back!". Does your box say that it supports Mac? I thought that I looked at one this year and it only listed Windows.

12. DeadSirius macrumors member

One disk, both platforms. The box said so. I got mine at Best Buy.

13. longofest thread starter Editor emeritus

longofest

I'm not a big fan of having my financial information like that on the web where a hacker can break in and steal it. Hence, sticking to the desktop versions.

14. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

meh, It might not be for everyone.. but it has the same risks as:
    online banking
    lending tree type things
    checking your credit report online
    adp.com
    any online investment site

it is a risk, sure... a calculated one for me. The only way I get to the site is either by typing it in directly or using a book mark. Never from any email that I get.

If someone does not understand the risks and how to mitigate them, it might not be a good solution.

Having the program on one's own machine then allows for that information to be taken by other means... insecure wifi networks, using the same username and password to log into ones machine as any of a million web pages that might not be secure..

The biggest thing someone would get would be a social security number. That is really the only thing a hacker would be able to get.. I think there are other softer targets and means to get that information. You're mileage may vary.

15. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Gah!

This year is crap.

We have been forced to use the windows partion to do taxes this year.

16. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I used TurboTax last year because TaxCut didn't make a Mac version. It was so bad, I decided that if TaxCut didn't make a Mac version this year, I was going to use the PC version in Parallels. I had used MacinTax one year some time ago & it hadn't improved at all with the name change.

17. danny_w macrumors 601

I have used TurboTax for years with no problems, except for the one year that Intuit insisted on putting in product activation; that one year I used TaxCut, and did not like it because it was missing all of the stock option help that I was used to in TT. Then last year I thought about trying it again, but they had dumped the Mac version. Sorry, they don't get another chance in my book as long as TT works. Why does everybody here say it is so bad?

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I've used TurboTax for the Mac (the desktop version) for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems. I am a little concerned this year that every time I fire it up, there are yet another slew of updates that it needs to download -- is it safe for me to go ahead and file, or should I wait a little longer? (I've been done with the actual return for several weeks now.)

19. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Two years ago when I used TaxCut, it let me know that I could take the college tuition credit in two ways & how one would save us more. The greater savings of the one kept us out of a penalty for not having enough federal tax withheld. Last year, TurboTax didn't make any suggestions. It didn't even make it clear that there was more than one & I still wonder if I took the right one.

I must say, though, that it was easier to figure out how to print a PDF of my return with TurboTax. I did leave feedback to TaxCut on this this year.

20. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I've used TurboTax for years on my mac with no problems. I always buy it early and file late and I notice it updates a lot. There may be an advantage to filing a little later so that Intuit can fix the bugs.

21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I used Turbo Tax last year and liked it, but bought Tax cut this year when they decided to make the Mac version and even put it out on the same CD as the MS version which makes it $15-20 for federal only copy which is all I need here in NH! Would have probably bought turbo Tax again this year so I could import my data from last year, but it was more expensive.

22. rksprst macrumors member

I just finished my taxes on it today and it worked perfectly. No problems at all.

23. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

TaxCut will import your data from last year's TurboTax.

24. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I just wish they would have done that for their Canadian version...it's the same freaking company, but Intuit Canada only made their program for Windows :mad:

25. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

you should be safe...i have very simple taxes (no investments, etc.) and i was able to have everything finished two weeks ago. i filed on the 19th and have already received my state refund. fed shoud be here monday. :D

i'll fire up TT again in a few weeks to make sure my totals are the same after any updates, and if there's a change i'll file an amended return. really, just make sure you have all of your W2 info, as well as any interest statements and the like...once you're sure you have all that and you've applied the most recent updates, you should be about 95% safe. :)