Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Since Tax Day is quickly approaching, I'm wondering. . .

Which Tax software do people use most? (with MacOS X, of course)

Personally, I have used Tax Cut for the last few years. While I haven't had any serious problems installing, running, and finishing my taxes, it hasn't been that impressive. Is TurboTax any different? Better? Worse?

thanks,
-r

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Well. . . no one chimed in, so I went to the Apple store to decide. It came down to the fact that you get a free $10 Apple gift card with a the purchase of TaxCut. So that's what I did. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Whichever one is from H&R Block of course. ;)
Screw the giftcard. When you're audited that $10 will be taken away too!
hahaha I'm kidding of course.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Tax Cut.

I tried Turbo Tax one year and couldn't stand the interface.

In truth, who knows which interface anyone will prefer. That's one of those personal choice things.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Bear said:
Tax Cut.

I tried Turbo Tax one year and couldn't stand the interface.

In truth, who knows which interface anyone will prefer. That's one of those personal choice things.

I couldn't agree more... Tax Cut is much better than Turbo Tax. I think the questions the program asks is much better than Turbo Tax.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I've been using TurboTax for over 10 years, and it just keeps getting better and better. Last year, I did my Federal AND state taxes, including deductions for property tax and capital gains/losses, in less than 30 minutes.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Bear said:

True. I guess I was more interested in features, ease of use, and general stability. Back in the day when I used PCs, TurboTax really fuzzed my Dell. That was probably the fact that it was a PC (75 Mhz Pentium baby!), but it made me reconsider TurboTax none-the-less.

So far TaxCut has been good, but I'm not done with taxes yet.

And I haven't spent my $10 gift card yet either. :)

iSaint

macrumors 603
online option???

I have used Turbo Tax online for three years running. All of my data is stored from recent years and brought forward where numbers need to be filled in. Can't say anything bad about Tax Cut because I've never used it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.