Turing off an iMac Screen?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by TigerPRO, Feb 19, 2004.

1. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I have a 17" plat panel iMac. The trouble is, I'd like to turn the LCD off without having to put the computer to sleep. Are there any programs for doing this? I have it set it to automatically turn the display off in 10 minutes. But sometimes I'm leaving, and I'd just like to power it down right away. I know on PowerBooks once you turn the brightness all the way down, the last notch turns the screen "off". But on iMacs, the last notch is just really dim, but not off (unfortunately).

2. jtown macrumors 6502

I don't think there's a way without using 3rd party software (which is something I try to avoid when dealing with cosmetic issues). It's not like the display uses a huge amount of energy so I'd say just let it be. It'll shut off in 10 minutes (or whatever you have the display shutoff set for) whether you're there or not. :)

If you're worried about security, you can set up a hot corner for the screen saver and set it to "use my user account password". Just run the mouse to that corner and the screen saver will kick in. That won't make the display shut off any sooner but at least it will be secure.

3. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I'm not concerned about the energy. Because I could actually care less about that (and the environment). What I'm worried about is my iMac screen. I just had it replaced after one year of use. I'm convinced it's because I had it on too much.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm...

ON too much? You REALLY think that extra 8 minutes is going to matter?

5. punter macrumors 6502

what about putting it to sleep? Just press the power button and it's gone. Touch a keyboard button and it's back. Instantly!

Of course this solution is no good if you want the computer to continue to do work while you're away.:rolleyes:

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

An extra 8-10 minutes is not going to make a big difference, so I wouldn't worry about it. Those LCDs do not consume a lot of power, so if your iMac screen needed repairs after a year, I highly doubt it was because it "burned itself out" or something like that. I wouldn't be that worried about it.

Oh, and as for your first comment - you could care less about the environment? And are only worried about your precious little iMac screen? Nice one.... :rolleyes:

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

What I did was set the screen to go off after 15 minutes and put the keychain menu extra in the menu bar. So whenever I live, I click on that and then click on "Lock Screen". You'll need a blank screen saver though. I found one on version tracker.

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

One word: SAD!!:(

9. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup. The environment is self healing, unfortunately, mac are not able to do that yet. I mean, who here would seriously put the environment ahead of there own Mac? We are Apple users here I think.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the environment is not self-healing, at least in terms of what we do to it. you're mistaken.

and whether you're convinced of it or not, leaving the display on isn't really going to affect much. I have LCDs that are on 24/7, for years, with no problems. And these are cheap little LCDs that are nothing compared to the quality Apple uses. Don't worry about it, let the screen shut off on it's own, or sleep the machine. Probably you got a faulty display last time, which is not uncommon...

paul

11. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't you love your Mac? Or do you even have one?

12. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I guess I'll take that advice. I have AppleCare on my computer anyway.

As for your comment about the environment, I would like to rebuke your over-generalized apprehension. There is a thing called "rain" that God designed to clean the air. We don't need to help Him. Does that mean I think we should rip the catalytic converters out of every automobile? No. Does that mean I think I should worry about consuming less power running my Apple computer? NO! A little known fact about air pollution is that it's actually been declining since the 1970s, not steadily increasing as some would have you think.

Then there's these confused individuals that think the earth's ozone layer is getting a hole in it, and that the earth is slowly warming do to pollution.

13. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Air Pollution is not the problem, the problem is resources of fossilized fuel and the o-zone effect.

But GOd might fix that, believe that and we'll see what its like in 50 years when Hell is literally on Earth and everythings flooded.

14. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

What's the connection between the o-zone effect (what's that by the way?), fossilized fuel, and the earth flooding?

15. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

fossil fuels are burned
    ozone gets depleted
    temperature rises
    ice caps melt
    gigantic flood as ice caps melt

16. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

I see. Now you don't actually believe this, right? Your just saying it?

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why don't you just turn your screen brightness all the way down?

18. MictXP macrumors newbie

I'm not going to enter this debate. I've seen it (and been involved in it) too many times elsewhere. I will say, though, that you should cite, or at least reference, your sources. It increases your validity. That goes for both sides.

"My time in academia taught me I could use anyone else's idea as long as I reference it." -- Hard

19. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, or we could be plunged into an Ice Age instead. Maybe it isn't due to our polluting of the earth and maybe its a part of the earth's natural cycle. (We are overdue for an ice age some believe).

I don't actually believe it all entirely but it is something i take into consideration as I have not really heard many convincing counter arguments. (if any at all)

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I would love to have a mini-ice age about now. No glaciers, just more snow so I can finally get a damn day off :rolleyes:

21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have always had macs...five to be exact! As far as the love for the Mac, I could be no more in love with mine, but you can live without a mac (not as well, but indeed live) but you CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT AN ENVIRONEMENT.

Where is your proof the Environ. is self healing???

22. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

First of all, show me the source of your air pollution stat! The amount of pollution per pound of coal (or whatever the source) is smaller, but we have more coal producing plants than ever to provide more energy than ever. I live in the Northeast and it is a proven fact that over the last 5 years there has been an increase in the haze found over the white and green mountains. They have traced the air particles directly back to midwestern coal producing plants. In addition, George Duh. Bush is attempting to strip the air and water quality standards act from the books to send us back over 20 years ago in air quality standards. We are using much more energy than ever before (and if we hadn't been so strict on standards over the last 20 + years we would be in more trouble than we are now.

By the way, Rain is part of the water cycle and it's "intent" is to create a living planet...yes, in a sense it does clean the air, but we drink that water, plant food in that water, kids play in that water, we swim in that water, etc.

Do some reasearch into some of the folowing topics and you will be enlighted a bit. Just some of the chemicals (found in certain products) that are currently found INSIDE the human body are the following: chemicals from Gore-Tex, Teflon, airline and fighter jet fuel, MTBE fuel additive, etc.

Many of these products are being banned due to the pollution they are creating in the environment and our bodies. The original formula of ScotchGuard brand stainresister spray has been banned! MTBE is close to being banned by the feds and some states have already done so.

As global warming worsens, ocean levels will continue to rise. Melting ice caps and glaciers are slowly increasing the amount of water in the oceans, and as ocean water warms, it expands, further raising sea levels.

From the Sierra Club.org site on warming of the envoronment-Obviously they are talking long term here, but does it matter?
    They state:
    "This could flood the 30 percent of the world's population that lives within 30 miles of the coastline, contaminate freshwater supplies and damage delta ecosystems such as the Amazon, the Ganges, the Mississippi and the Nile. "

Remove approx 30 miles inland in the following cities: Houston, New Orleans, New York, boston, Portland, SanDiego, Los Angeles, San Fran., Miami, etc.

BIG IMPACT IF YOU ASK ME!

23. encephalon macrumors member

In an attempt to clear up any misconceptions.. Global warming and the ozone hole are two separate issues.

The ozone hole (or ozone depletion) is primarily caused by the introduction of CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons), also know as Freon. CFCs were used as a refrigerant and propellent for spray cans, and are quite harmless to us. But, when CFCs enter the upper atmosphere they are broken down by ultraviolet radiation and chlorine is released. Chlorine reacts with ozone, essentially destroying it. CFC use has been reduced since the initial discovery of the antarctic ozone hole in 1985, and hopefully as CFCs disperse out of the atmosphere the trend will be reversed.

Global warming is the result of an increased "Greenhouse Effect." Note: the Greenhouse Effect is a naturally occurring event, which makes the Earth comfortable to live on (without the Greenhouse Effect our planet would be 33 degrees C colder! :eek: ). The problem is the Greenhouse Effect could be increasing. Atmospheric CO2 concentrations have increased by about 25% since the beginning of the 19th century. This change is larger than any natural fluctuation that has occurred since the retreat of the glaciers 11,000 years ago and is attributable to the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation.

My source is my textbook sitting next to me, but I can try to find some information off of google for any skeptics :p . Off to class!

P.S. Just put your iMac to sleep :D

24. beerguy macrumors regular

It must suck to live in fear constantly because you only believe what you're told by some whacked extremist group.

Per the topic - I agree with the folks who recommended setting a shorter sleep time. That's as close to off as the thing gets.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, and then to invade another country over it.... Sheesh!

Sorry, this thread's headed for politics anyway.;)