Turks move into "Kurdistan" -- what a mess

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by pseudobrit, Mar 22, 2003.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

2. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

as well as the turks coming for the kurds in north iraq, the kurds may be fighting amongst themselves.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s813802.htm
    it was suggested that a war in iraq would be like a russian doll. every war you start would have a new war inside.

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think there were fears about the kurds deciding to cause an uprising and try to make their own kurdish state, but turkey getting into this won't help at all. They could be attacked by coalition forces, being mistaken as Iraqi's, or they could cause even more trouble in the region by fighting with the kurds...

This really needs to be taken care of, now.

4. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

The situation of the Kurds was one of my big concerns before this whole thing began. Iraq, Iran and Turkey have had it out for the Kurds for a very long time and this war might give one of them the open window they wanted.

I was hoping that Turkey's desire to be in the EU would keep them in line, but this movement of troops is troubling indeed. I'm hoping that Iraq doesn't try out some of their weapons against the Kurds or Iran doesn't see this as an opportunity for a land grab.

The aftermath of this war could be messy indeed.

Taft