Turn a Dell into a Lexmark (Reflash firmware?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shrout1, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Shrout1 macrumors newbie

Howdy all,

Got a Dell 720 printer this summer with the purchase of a laptop. It is readily apparent that the printer is a rebadged Lexmark z6XX - either a z605 or z615.

In any case, there are no drivers which will make this printer work with Mac OS X due to the fact that it is a "Dell" printer.

My question is this: Because the hardware is the same, wouldn't Lexmark firmware run the printer just fine?

And also, where do I find both the firmware and a utility to reflash the Dell printer. (Beyond that, is the Firmware actually just stamped to a ROM or do I actually have the ability to change it myself?)

Thanks a million!

2. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

From a windows point of view you would be able to run the lexmark drivers and be done with it. Not having a mac (shame on me!) I have no idea how you can select drivers etc.

After doing a google search and then seeing some fo the responses, including some old ones here, a different printer seems to be the way to go.

Unless there is someone here who can help you on making the Mac OS think its really a lexmark.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Considering how much ink is for the Dell printers,after you factor in a couple of sets of replacement ink, it would cost you less to buy a supported printer.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, but are there even drivers for either of those Lexmark printers for OS X? I didn't see them on the GIMP-Print list or on the Apple list.... :(

5. Shrout1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard that there are Drivers for Lexmark - honestly haven't looked yet.

As for the cartridges being expensive, they definitely are - This printer is intended to be a fairly low usage machine - most likely only school papers, etc. The cartridges would probably take longer than a year to replace, seeing as the ink doesn't go bad first. Also, a modified Lexmark refill kit is said to get the job done.

My next question might be this: Could Virtual PC connect to this printer? Much as "A different Printer" is the obvious solution here, I wouldn't have made this topic if I were intent upon doing that ;)

Curious if there might be some way to use PC print drivers on OS X.

6. Shrout1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here we go:

[​IMG]

Whether that is the model that this Dell printer actually translates into, I don't know - Lexmark uses the same plastic body for at least 3 different lines - z6xx has a few models.

Don't know what the hardware difference is.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The Z605 and Z615 use the same driver. You may even be able to use the Lexmark driver with the Dell firmware, give it a go :)

8. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

In theory it should... no harm in trying is there? :) I can't remember how many printers you could use in windows with the "HP compatible driver". When all else fails use the HP driver.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, now I'm confused...sorry... Have you actually tried that, Shrout? Just downloading the Lexmark driver and forcing it to use that driver?

10. Shrout1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't given that a shot yet, and I guess there could be no harm done in that except that I've found a few posts which state that the Dell printer will not recognize the Lexmark drivers:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/pipermail/macosx-list/2004q4/001171.html

You'll see there that the user has tried that. I'll probably try it myself anyway.