turn based war games

Discussion in 'Games' started by johnkrz, Aug 1, 2004.

1. johnkrz macrumors member

hey what are some turn based war games for the mac as long as they are not like fantasy stuff.

2. richmlow macrumors member

Hmm....well, here are some non-fantasy turn-based games for the Mac. Some of the games overlap other genres as well.

1. Fallout 1, 2
    2. Hearts of Iron
    3. Europa Universalis 2
    4. Age of Empires 2
    5. Civilization 2, 3
    6. Alpha Centauri
    7. Massive Assault
    8. Master of Orion 2 (MOO 3 did not turn out very well)

I'm sure there are more...these just came off the top of my head.

richmlow

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't think a non-fantasy turn-based war game exists.

4. evil macrumors 6502

5. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Isn't "Age of Empires" considered a real-time strategy game? Anyway, I used to have a very cool turn-based war game for my Japanese PlayStation called "Air-Land Battle." (I know that's not much good to you.) Here's an article on (the lack of) turn-based games:

http://www.firingsquad.com/games/tbgameseditorial/

How about "Total War" for the Mac? I've never played it but it looks like a package of several games. Here's a link:

http://www.ssgus.com/totalwar.html

Squire

6. applekid macrumors 68020

AoE is indeed a RTS. Fallout is more of an RPG.

Anyways, besides Civilization 2 and 3, there really hasn't been anything turn-based, non-fantasy strategy games.

I recommend you buy a GBA, Advance Wars, and Advance Wars 2. Advance Wars is the greatest turn-based strategy game ever. It deals with modern warfare. The sequel is a little more serious than the first, but both are fun games. There is so much in each game, you'll literally play for at least 100 hours.

7. johnkrz thread starter macrumors member

i want games for mac not for a little kids video game system. if someone would write a game for me that would be cool too. but no one is gonna do that so i need games for the mac.

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I have hearts of iron, and it is a WWII turn based game....but I have not figured out how to play it and make it enjoyable...but maybe I am ignorant. However, I love Civ 3 and play it all the time with great results....you'd think I could figure this one out.

9. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Hearts of Iron isn't quite turn based, but it movs too slow to be a classic RTS. I played it several times and it almost seems too big. Haven't had too much fun with it.

10. applekid macrumors 68020

Suit yourself. It's just that you sound like a kid by saying that. :D

Pretty selfish to ask someone to write a game just for you, ey? ;)

We had a recent talk about making an Advance Wars tribute/clone/something close to it at iDevGames, but I doubt any developers are freed up with uDG around the corner.

11. evil macrumors 6502

i had hearts of iron for the pc and i loved it. i was contemplating even buying it again for the mac. i no longer have the game nor any windows computers.

12. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Combat Mission is a true World War II turn based strategy game. However, the major drawback of this series is that it is for OS 9 only (not even classic in OSX will run it).

13. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

14. mkaake macrumors 65816

StarBound

of course, that was in OS 7 running in 256 colors only, but it was a fun game...

15. DStaal macrumors member

FreeCiv (a free, open-source, Civ 1-2 clone) is also playable on Mac, though it needs X to run. (And some small level of comfort with Unix is good too.)

16. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I have played many rounds of this back on a Mac Plus. Great game. It still runs fine for me in Classic. I haven't played a full game of it in a while, but I did start one up just a couple of weeks ago. :)

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I also recommend Civ III. Not truly just a war game, but the game always includes elements of war, and nothing stops you from being very warlike and thus engaged almost constantly in battle.

Again, not a pure war game. But, for the Mac, a decent one which includes war.