Turn-by-Turn and Flyover for 4S and iPad2+ ONLY (also - SIRI on 4S and iPad 3 ONLY)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Netherscourge, Jun 11, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/

(scroll to the very very bottom of the page)

In case anyone was wondering...

...don't know why there's no SIRI on the iPad 2 - it uses the same exact hardware the 4S uses...?

2. macrumors member

Saw it and I think its crooked as HELL. I had an LG Dare 5 years ago that had Turn-by-turn yet the iphone 4 cant handle it? LOL

3. macrumors 6502a

djrod

************ ****** ************ ****************** ****** ****** ******!!!!

4. macrumors 6502

Is this serious?! This is a ****ing disgrace! I was so excited when I saw this and now I'm being shafted for having an iPhone 4.. a perfectly capable device! This is actually quite aggravating.

5. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

So the iPad 2 doesn't get siri but is getting turn by turn navigation?

6. macrumors newbie

Apple full of #***!

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

I can understand the need for a multi-core CPU to handle this stuff...

Hence the 4S and iPad 3.

But... the iPad 2 has the same exact hardware as the 4S [A5 CPU] (in fact, the iPad 2's hardware is clocked HIGHER than the 4S's....)

Why can't the iPad 2 run SIRI? This one needs some serious explaining...

Do the 4S and New iPad have SIRI-exclusive hardware in it or something?

What gives other than bullying-out the iPad 2?

Makes no sense.

8. macrumors 68000

1080p

You know what I think is lame? When people buy something, pay the initial price with it's advertised features, then cry later when they don't get all of the updates for free.

Sure iPhone 4 can handle turn by turn directions. It has been doing it for a long time with Tom Tom and Navigon apps. Those cost money to develop... so they charge for them. It cost Apple money to develop Siri and navigation, and they don't charge a dime for these updates, but it is their prerogative to only offer features to their newest devices... and it is a way to sell more of them.

Accept it and buy the latest device or move on to a competing platform.

Oh hey... Galaxy S III comes out in a few weeks. It ships with Ice Cream Sandwich. This fall, Google will release the Jellybean update with a slew of new features... but... you will need to wait until Samsung rapes it with their custom UI. Then you will need to wait until your carrier gets a hold of it and removes core features and adds bloat. Then they will FINALLY decide to push an update months after Jellybean was released.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

Stop making excuses for them. It's not like they are in trouble and need new sales.

They don't make or sell ANYTHING at a loss.

10. macrumors 6502a

He's not making excuses. He's explaining business.

iOS6 will be out "this fall". So will the next iPhone. The iPhone 4 will be over 2 years old at that point and be an entry level device replacing the 3GS.

If turn by turn is so important, there are a number of apps available ranging from free to $40.

Clearly, the iPad 2 can run Siri from a technical standpoint. The iPad 2 is now an entry level device like the 3GS and will have some features not available.

Apple is a hardware company. They view software as a means to drive sales of their devices. Not sure why this is hard for people to understand. Those with a 2 year old phone complaining about not getting every single new feature need to realize their contribution to Apple was over 2 years ago.

11. macrumors 6502

Because they want to sell the newer iPad.. This way it makes itself look more advanced than the iPad 2 and iPad.

12. macrumors 6502a

Smith288

As a capitalist pig, this makes 100% sense. As a snot nosed apple fan boy, I want to stomp up and down like an entitled prepubescent teen. lol

13. macrumors 65816

I am blown away that the 3GS is getting the same thing my iphone 4 is. Can't wait till next iphone comes out so I can use my upgrade.

14. macrumors member

Vook

x2

15. macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Wait, what? My iPhone 4 won't do turn-by-turn navigation?

...even though I use MapQuest for that feature already?

Okay, this is officially the worst OS upgrade ever. :mad:

16. macrumors 601

They could sell those features in the app store, or offer a choice between the crippled update and full update that you have to pay for!

17. macrumors 68000

1080p

And what would Apple charge for said update? $20? Apple is making a much larger profit selling you a new phone. It's business. Deal with it. You can be an Apple customer or not. But it isn't like other companies don't do the same. That is why they drag their feet to give Android phones updates... or not give updates period. They want to sell you a new phone.

This is the hardware business.

Microsoft is in the software business. That is why a new version of Windows costs $300 and not $20 like Mountain Lion. The hardware is subsidizing the development of the software. It is the very reason Apple hates Hackintoshing.

18. macrumors 601

Nobody is going to buy new hardware just for Siri and turn by turn navigation.

19. macrumors regular

I can honestly say that I use Siri maybe once a month on my 4s...so not having it on my iPad isnt going to be a big deal.

----------

I remember with the first generation iPod touch they made the update $20...there was a huge uproar but people still paid the $20 to Apple and said that the update was amazing. So charging would make people mad...but of course they would live with it.

20. macrumors 65816

Would love to see turn-by-turn on the iPad2+ used as a big-ass car sat-nav.:D

21. macrumors 6502a

So next year if they do a UI change they will not put it on the 4s because it's 2 years old. I understand the 3GS and i4 not getting flyover but no turn by turn is just dumb.

22. macrumors 6502

I'll be curious to see next year when Siri inevitably makes it to OS X what kind of limitations they place. Apple made a point of noting the noise canceling microphones on the new Retina MBP. My guess is that wasn't put there for FaceTime.

23. Guest

WeegieMac

Just as well I own the TomTom app for my iPhone 4 ... you know, the same maps data that Apple is using for its own turn by turn but isn't allowing on iPhone 4.

24. macrumors 6502a

Turn by turn is working for me on my iPhone 4. Maybe they'll take it out later...

----------

To make clear to everyone. Turn-by-Turn does work with the iphone 4, but it doesn't give you a above view.

[​IMG]

25. macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Sadly, they are doing this to convince people to buy the new products. All about the money