Turn off accelerometer (disable tilt/rotation detection)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dragonfall, Jan 1, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

How do I turn off the accelerometer? I need to turn it off.

2. macrumors 6502a

There is nothing in the settings that I know of... I do not think you can turn it off.

3. macrumors regular

EDIT: Double post, sorry.

4. macrumors regular

There is not an option to disable the accelerometer. If you really, really, absolutely must disable this feature, you could try a jailbreak and work up some code to do the trick but that's probably overkill.

5. macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, why do you want it disabled?

6. macrumors regular

because sometimes its annoying and unneeded?

7. macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I too wish there was an option to switch off the accelerometer, because occasionally I'm in bed on safari, and when I lie on my side , I want to see the screen as if it were portrait. The accelerometer always assumes the user is standing or sitting upright.

8. macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I for one hate it in Safari when you're lying in bed trying to surf the interwebs. You have to hold your phone slightly tilted upwards which defeats the object of lying in bed then :rolleyes:

I'd love a disable option for certain apps, or some kind of manual rotation for web pages and the like.

9. macrumors newbie

Idk if u figured it out by now but to enable/disable "tilt" just double click the home button, swipe to the right and on the left of the music controls there is a silver arrow button. Press that button :)

10. macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

This..not really disabling of the accelerometer but it's portrait orientation lock and it sounds like what you are looking for

11. macrumors 6502a

I don't think that feature existed in 2009.

12. macrumors newbie

Because tilt is hot garbage. Anyone know how to PERMANENTLY disable password filler? I hate seeing * when most passwords want caps and numbers etc...