turn off external montior while plugged in

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by furcalchick, Feb 1, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm on a macbook, and while i like having the external monitor hooked up at times for extra space, sometimes i would like to have it shut off while the monitor is plugged into the computer. is there a way to do this? thanks.

2. mike dunx macrumors regular

3. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i was talking about having the external monitor inactive while the macbook was connected to the monitor. sorry for any confusion this caused.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah... I don't think there's any easy way to do that. If I leave my iMac plugged in to my TV, even with the TV off, the iMac behaves as if there is an external device plugged in..... I could see some situations where it would be handy to tell it to "ignore" the port. For that matter, same goes for the audio out.... (ignoring it and continuing on with the internal speakers). But I don't know a way to do this.

5. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

6. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

I have a MacBook with an external display connected via DVI. It's been my experience that you just pull the MiniDVI connector while everything is running and the MacBook will figure out that there's no more external monitor. It then makes the adjustments, and keeps on doing what it was doing. The monitor also figures out that there's no signal and turns itself off. No problems. Hope that helps. :)