Turn off internal iMac speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by allisonv7, Jan 18, 2006.

1. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I have a g5 iMac with some external speakers plugged in and I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the internal speakers?

The reason is b/c the person I'm talking to on Skype hears an echo, I'm thinking this may be the problem since I'm also using the built-in mic. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

allison.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My internal speakers automatically turn off when I plug externals in. I don't see any option in Sound Preferences to change this behaviour, so I don't know why it's not working properly for you.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Nermal's behavior is the norm. Try turning your externals down, or you might need to get a headset (USB, Bluetooth, etc.)

4. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

The same echo sound happens when I voice chat or video chat on iChat. It's not an internal speaker problem, it's the sound level of the speakers. I figured this out because when I lowered the sound, they said it went away....only problem was, I couldn't hear them as well as I use to when the speakers were louder.

5. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I think the best way to get rid of the echo is to use a headset w/ mic. Or, at least an external mic with the speaker volume turned down.

6. allisonv7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! I just assumed it was the internal speakers because I'd messed around with volume settings a bunch and nothing seemed to fix it.

I may have to try the external mic, hopefuly that'll work.

allison.

7. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

My experience has been that it significantly reduces the echo with internet phone calls. Good luck!