Turn off/modify PB Eject Key?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Tastannin, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Hiya!

I have a 3 month old 15 inch AlBook that I love to death. However the dedicated Eject key is driving me nuts. I remember on my old TiBook, I would have to hold the F12 key for a moment before the eject function was triggered.

Now with this AlBook, half the time that I press the delete key, I inadvertently hit the dedicated Eject key, which ejects the DVD or CD that I have in the AlBook. I've put up with it hoping that I'll somehow adjust. Nope, it's not happening.

Also, the Eject key seems to be much more sensitive - any tap of it, and it'll bring up the Eject icon and perform an eject of the mounted optical media. Argh!

I've looked, Googled, and searched - is there any way to turn off the Eject key or toggle the trigger timing so that it more resembles the old TiBook F12/Eject action?

Many thanks!
    Ryan

2. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

This isn't that helpful, but I have a Rev. A 17" powerbook, and I have to hold the eject key down at least 1-2 seconds for it to illicit a response. Perhaps that's different for the 12" powerbooks?

3. duncandeath macrumors member

duncandeath

The delete key is huge .i have a 12" and have never hit the eject by mistake. The fact that you hit so often that it has become a big problem complex's me.

Can you explain further?

I need to hold my key down for about 1-2 seconds also.

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I'm not sure but DoubleCommand might be able to put you on the path.

For me, the CapsLock key drives me nuts, as I never use it, but it's one of the biggest keys on the keyboard. It seems to have more surface area than the Return key, which I use LOTS. I keep hitting it by mISTAKE ESPEcially when reaching for the shift key underneath it ...

DoubleCommand turned it off for me. Amusing that the green light still comes on and of tho.

DoubleCommand doesn't deal with the Eject key, but a nice email to the maintainer might help...

RedTomato (on a AlBook 1.5GHZ)

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have the current 15-inch powerbook and I hit the eject key a few times a wekk. It is the most annoying thing on the computer. It's gotten to the point where I create images of disks so I don't have to run them from the disk drive. I still get the eject graphic, but at least it doesn't eject anything.