Turn off or put to sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joey4127, Mar 6, 2005.

1. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

What is better for my Mac Mini? And what is the diferance other then my mac isn't turned off...Is putting it to sleep bad? good? Please help me...I have no idea...

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    In normal usage, not a lot of difference. Sleeping means that your Mac will be available to you quicker since one keystroke and it's live again rather than having to wait for it to boot up. It won't do any harm to leave it sleeping - you can even set it to wake up at 2.55am so it can run its cron jobs and then go back to sleep.

If you live in an area where there are frequent powercuts, then you may want to shut it down since Minis will need a powercord to sleep (unlike portables).

3. Bear macrumors G3

This is a huge debate. Some people let their systems sleep for short periods and turn them off for overnight. I let my Powerbook sleep, even for long periods of time. My Powermac I let sleep at night - it only gets shutdown when I'm going to be gone for longer than a day trip.

I recommend you have the mac Mini on at least a good surgesproctection powerstrip. It might be better to get a small UPS (I recommend the APC 350 or 500 that looks like an oversized powerstrip for a Mini - depends on what else you have plugged in). I have my system connected to the UPS and it does a shutdown when the UPS gets low on battery power (during a blackout of course).

4. bubbamac macrumors 6502

There's no difference in what's better for your Mac.

I say use 'sleep.' I've had my PB for coming up on three years now, and it's been turned off exactly three times, twice for OS issues (my fault. Don't jack with it when there's an OS upgrade happening). I put it to sleep every time I'm not using it, and it travels with me in a bag 15 - 18 days a month.

Lots of threads on this one, by the way.

5. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

What happens if theres a powercut when its plugged in? Can this cause damage? I have an ibook and we have powercuts sometimes. Should i be worried?

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You should still have a power surge protector where your iBook is plugged in since when the power kicks back in, there may be a surge.

But as I said above, 'unlike portables' since your iBook has a battery that it can continue to sleep from whereas the Mini needs a power cable.

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

On a desktop it shuts the computer down, the same as a hard shut down, not to good for the computer. However, on a portable it simply switches to the battery power, nothing to worry about, the computer is made to do that.