Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
I have a iPhone 6S+ which came with 9.0. iOS sends a popup reminder everyday reminding me to upgrade. The only options are to install now, install between midnight and 4am and remind me later. I do not want to upgrade until 9.1 or 9.2. So, how do I tell iOS to not bother me?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Can I ask why? there just small bug updates that's all

I don't have any ax to grind. I just like to be behind a couple of updates for any stability issues and bugs to be ironed out.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
And if you don't install the updates then you don't get the fixes for those stability issues and bugs.
I guess only way is to keep ignoring message

Reactions: mtneer

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
And if you don't install the updates then you don't get the fixes for those stability issues and bugs.
I guess only way is to keep ignoring message

Haha! That's one way of looking at it. I was looking at the stability issues and bugs introduced by rushed out iOS updates from Apple!

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I have a iPhone 6S+ which came with 9.0. iOS sends a popup reminder everyday reminding me to upgrade. The only options are to install now, install between midnight and 4am and remind me later. I do not want to upgrade until 9.1 or 9.2. So, how do I tell iOS to not bother me?

You can just download the update but do not install. Then delete the update from storage. That should take care of it.

Reactions: shilluminatus

shilluminatus

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
Escondido
iOS 9.0.2 is bug fixes etc, there isn't a away to stop as Apple wants you to be up to date and less vulnerable

This is why, as a former Apple employee, I hate Apple fanbois. "OMG what Apple wants is good for you just let them force you to do it already!!!" Guess what? It's my f*cking device, I will do what I want with it. If the OP is asking how to do something with his device, if you don't know the answer, don't tell him "just do what Apple wants".

Apple does make good products, but much of the company has a toxic, delusional, control-freak mentality when it comes to their customers. This is why businesses still go with PC and android products - Apple's is too controlling to let businesses do what they need to do with the product they purchased. The last thing the world needs is Apple fanboi's mindlessly parroting the same toxic delusion that "Apple always knows best".

Apple's just another big corporation, like microsoft, ford, disney or mcdonalds. Much of the internal company culture is dysfunctional and disconnected from reality. Sometimes, that dysfunctionality is exposed to customers in psychotic things like forced updates. Other times, it's successfully kept under control enough to make decent products people want to buy.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
This is why, as a former Apple employee, I hate Apple fanbois. "OMG what Apple wants is good for you just let them force you to do it already!!!" Guess what? It's my f*cking device, I will do what I want with it. If the OP is asking how to do something with his device, if you don't know the answer, don't tell him "just do what Apple wants".

Apple does make good products, but much of the company has a toxic, delusional, control-freak mentality when it comes to their customers. This is why businesses still go with PC and android products - Apple's is too controlling to let businesses do what they need to do with the product they purchased. The last thing the world needs is Apple fanboi's mindlessly parroting the same toxic delusion that "Apple always knows best".

Apple's just another big corporation, like microsoft, ford, disney or mcdonalds. Much of the internal company culture is dysfunctional and disconnected from reality. Sometimes, that dysfunctionality is exposed to customers in psychotic things like forced updates. Other times, it's successfully kept under control enough to make decent products people want to buy.
Lol.most android products are lucky to get even one update in a year.Microsoft Windows Phone works on near the same model as iOS and is better

Reactions: ABC5S

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL

Apple has been telling us what to do for a long time now. Certainly hasn't stopped them, right? When you say let businesses do what they need to do with the product they purchased, you are assuming that they have an IT guy who knows what he is talking about to implement those needs. Not all companies are fortunate to have THAT guy. I've worked at places that the resident cad guy was the "IT" guy as well. What a clusterF that was. Our IT guy has the goods and we are very lucky.

Another thing is that 8 out of 10 people I talk too about how to do things with their iPhones, never even knew they could do some of the cool things with their phone, or even knew there was an iOS manual to read to learn how to use it. Whats an iBook, they would say. Majority of people out there are not real tech savvy. Just because you have a smart phone doesn't make you any smarter. Hell, I have heard numerous times at the apple store that the person needing help can't even remember or don't know their appleid or what it is.

Apple is very controlling for sure, but can you imagine if they weren't, the Geniuses would be going nuts trying to remember all the details from each iOS release and give the customer the service they deserve and solve the problem at hand. I know this, when I take time off to visit an apple store for a phone problem, I expect to walk out of there satisfied. Apple has always delivered that for me. The updates are welcome for most people. A .02 update is a minor update anyways. Those updates are intended to lift the experience. Are they perfect, no, but what ever they are doing, the majority of us are happy with their apple experience. Their ecosystem is solid and sells like crazy.

Reactions: !!! and Blujelly

shilluminatus

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
Escondido
Apple has been telling us what to do for a long time now. Certainly hasn't stopped them, right? When you say let businesses do what they need to do with the product they purchased, you are assuming that they have an IT guy who knows what he is talking about to implement those needs.

Yep, I'm that guy. That's why we don't use or (officially) support Apple products in my division of my organization.

Not all companies are fortunate to have THAT guy. I've worked at places that the resident cad guy was the "IT" guy as well. What a clusterF that was. Our IT guy has the goods and we are very lucky.

No argument from me.

Another thing is that 8 out of 10 people I talk too about how to do things with their iPhones, never even knew they could do some of the cool things with their phone, or even knew there was an iOS manual to read to learn how to use it. Whats an iBook, they would say. Majority of people out there are not real tech savvy. Just because you have a smart phone doesn't make you any smarter. Hell, I have heard numerous times at the apple store that the person needing help can't even remember or don't know their appleid or what it is.

Everything you say here is true.

Apple is very controlling for sure, but can you imagine if they weren't, the Geniuses would be going nuts trying to remember all the details from each iOS release and give the customer the service they deserve and solve the problem at hand.

That's the difference between a "genius" and someone who truly knows IT. During my time at Apple, I was endlessly frustrated by how little the "geniuses" actually knew, and I commonly solved relatively simple problems for customers that dazed and confused the genius bar. If Apple would just hire people who are actually IT competent, not a friendly face they put through three weeks of training, the genius bar could easily handle the problems that a very small minority of advanced users would encounter if Apple wasn't so controlling.

Nothing Apple could do to give their users more control compares to supporting that stubborn idiot with Windows Vista Home in a BYOD environment, and thousands of people like me do that every day as normal part of our job.

I know this, when I take time off to visit an apple store for a phone problem, I expect to walk out of there satisfied. Apple has always delivered that for me. The updates are welcome for most people. A .02 update is a minor update anyways. Those updates are intended to lift the experience. Are they perfect, no, but what ever they are doing, the majority of us are happy with their apple experience. Their ecosystem is solid and sells like crazy.

You're not wrong. I just find it irritating when people assume that because a majority of basic users don't question Apple's choices that no one should be allowed to question them. iOS 9.0.2 has it's own set of problems, and frankly 9.0 is working just fine for me. I'm not going to be forced into "fixing" a problem that isn't a problem by introducing new potential issues to a device that's working fine, especially if it's a huge pain (or impossible) to downgrade. And if you tell me "just upgrade, Apple know's best" you'll just piss me off, which is basically what my phone was trying to do.

Last edited:

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I strongly suggest you update to iOS 9.0.2. It's more stable than 9.0. Now I could understand if you didn't want to download 9.1 and wait till 9.1.1. You're using a buggy OS. UPGRADE!!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How do you do this?
You should be able to find it under Settings > General > Usage where you have all the apps listed (if it has been downloaded it will appear as one of the apps there that you can select and delete).

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
How do you do this?

Ever since iOS 7; you can find the auto downloaded installer under Settings > General > Usage. Here you will find the installer among a list of apps; listed in decreasing order of their size.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England

lol calm down dude!

my opinion is my own I don't need you to tell me different mate, just because you don't agree doesn't mean you come in guns glazing, you have a discussion and a polite chat about it! Maybe that's why you were a former apple employee, that loud mouth of yours caused issues!

Also I replied with what Apple would have said, because guess what... it's what they said! OP was asking I literally just commented back with what I know! Its people like you who are ruining this forum!

But fine run around with a buggy iOS see if I care, don't complain on here though please!

Anyway if you don't like it jailbreak it or move on.

now I have a reason to hate you :)

Peace!

Last edited:

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Ever since iOS 7; you can find the auto downloaded installer under Settings > General > Usage. Here you will find the installer among a list of apps; listed in decreasing order of their size.
Interesting that I don't seem to have it.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Can't fix this now, but once 9.1 (or any update where you do not want to upgrade to) comes out, do the following:

1. Begin downloading it yourself the same day it's released by going Settings > Software Update > Download and Install.

2. As soon as it starts downloading, go to Settings > General > Usage and delete the update.

3. Go back to Settings > General > Software Update, click Download and Install again, but this time deny the terms.

This should remove the nag and also should prevent you from getting the unremovable Settings notification badge if you don't have it already.

I'm on 8.4.1 and I don't have that annoying badge!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Are you on 7.1 or later? Are you sure the installer was in fact downloaded?
On 9.02. Not sure if it was downloaded or not. I never really looked for it before. I just know I get the nagging about updating and would like to make that go away until I'm ready to update.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
On 9.02. Not sure if it was downloaded or not. I never really looked for it before. I just know I get the nagging about updating and would like to make that go away until I'm ready to update.
If you are on 9.0.2 what is it nagging you to update to (given that 9.0.2 is the latest released version)?

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I was on 9.01 when it was alerting me. I finally updated but thought what a bother it was when I wash;t ready to update and it kept prompting me. Kind of like when you turn off cell data for an app and you get alerted every time you open the app that it's turned off.
Yes I know, just quit telling me!

Bluesdealer

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
iOS 9.0.2 is bug fixes etc, there isn't a away to stop as Apple wants you to be up to date and less vulnerable
Does nobody jailbreak, anymore? Sorry Apple, but I refuse to let you break my software with a forced update on my phone.

It's incredibly presumptuous to not simply include a permanent ignore on update nagging. I've dismissed the nag 30+ times, so take a hint already! They can't anticipate every situation or configuration and screw them for attempting to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.