Turned the heat on for the first time today...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Hope you checked the furnace for any sleeping hedgehogs first... and made sure the flues were clear... and the radiators were bled?

I turned mine on a couple of weeks ago... shiver... I hate winter. Got caught out twice this week by heavy rain and no brolly and felt like I'd been in a cold shower. Yuck!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm hoping to go another several weeks before that happens. The benefits of living 7 hours south of you, I suppose!

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

We have a heat pump...no hedgehogs. Just turn it on and bingo!

I'd prefer light a fire in the fireplace, but no firewood in the house. :(

Cold, damp, rainy. Not doing much for my mood, I'm afraid!

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I love you iGary and Applespider. This is definitely the thread for me... darned icky winter weather! I heard the heater kick on last night around 3:15am. Hee, but I'd be willing to bet that Maryland and London are both a good bit colder than California. :eek:

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I'd move to the West Coast in a heartbeat!

The Power Mac is running a good 10 degrees cooler, though, so all's not lost.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I love Winter more than Summer. The air is fresher and I like cold licks on my skin.

7. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I kinda lucked out my new apartment i only pay electric. So no bills for gas, water, trash etc. So i can heat away, incase any of you are interested and from DE,MD,WV(Thats unfortunate),NJ(As bad as WV), or DC you can buy CO2 emission credits to reduce the fossil fuels used for your utilities. You can select what method of alternative energy you'd like to pay for as well solar, wind, agricultural whatever and it's alot cheaper then you may think, PM if you wanna know more!

I'm an Environmental Science major and so we kinda hear alot about this obviously.

Edit: Oh i forgot to add the link it's www.CleanYourAir.org it's in my sig as well!! SIGN UP!!!

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It froze last night...I had little rings of frost on my windows when I woke up. It was a beautiful, crisp morning. Fresh, clean air, bright blue sky and a little breeze...I love winter! :)

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

luckily my student flat here is pretty ***** awesome isolated.. in the last 3 years i think i turned on the heat about 3 times to 3 (of five) for a few hours

and yes we have -15° C winters ;)

at the moment i'm sitting here with short trosuers and tshirt and for going out i have to put on long rousers, an additional pullover.. an anorak 8+gloves +cap in the morning)

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i still have my AC on during this time of the year in MA

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

So you have a pet lizard?

:confused: ;)

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm a winter lover as well. The air is crisp. Its hard to explain, but sometimes I'll walk outside with just a t-shirt (or nothing but my boxers) for a few minutes. Hard nipples and major shrinkage is imminent, but it feels refreshing breathing such crisp air.

I'll only do that if the air is still, though. If it's windy, then I'd die in the Canadian winter without enough clothing.

I have this theory that it doesn't matter

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont mind winter, but i love the fall and spring seasons the best.

we turned our heat on a few weeks ago for a little bit, i didn't see any reason to personally, but oh well.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Or a kinky wife.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Haven't needed any heat yet. I'm on the sunny side and top floor of a small 5-story block so get residual building warmth from below that keeps the place warm well into the evening. Quite often at this time of the year, I'll just throw on a thick fluffy dressing gown rather than put the fire on...

But... on Tuesday morning at 8am several guys are arriving to install the new gas-fired electronically-controlled central heating system with a new boiler, tanks, radiators and thermostat.

Although I'm looking forward to it, the resulting mess and reorganisation of furniture will be a complete pain as they're taking 3 days to do it. Have to move a lot of stuff (e.g. desk & Mac, bed, wardrobes) away from the walls so they can put piping in and remove old bits and pieces.

They also need access behind all the kitchen units so currently piled up before me in the living room are the contents of the kitchen boxes and drawers... I can almost reach over and grab the cutlery.

I also have to dismantle the bed and sleep on an airbed for a few days as some old ducts are hidden behind my bed. For those of you accustomed to large properties, let me share with you the approximate physical interior dimensions of my entire flat: 6.5 metres x 4.5 metres :eek: Such is London life...

So come Friday, once the heat is back on and the Mac reconnected, I think I shall post in the nude. :D

And no, I don't have an iSight.

16. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

I like colder weather better than hot weather, because to me it seems easier to get warm than to cool off. And here I am in south mississippi where winter doesn't start until mid January.

17. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Do you have an iSight? :D

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You never know, some kindly members might organise a whip-round for you. ;)

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't even want to think of how our American friends will read that phrase... :D

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You work in a graphic design/publishing place, right? There must be some imaging device available. A flatbed scanner, perhaps?

21. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I was wondering what the hell that was. :eek:

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I assumed that that's what that meant... although the silly side of me was hoping for something naughtier. :p Man, w/ that kind of incentive, I'd be down! :eek: Wow, that makes me seem so cheap and sleazy.

24. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    [radiating innocent helpfulness]
    I could always drop my iSight off at your place next Friday on the way to work? I only use it to speak to Mum and since I'll be with her the next two weeks, I won't need it...
    [/radiating innocent helpfulness]