Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Hope you checked the furnace for any sleeping hedgehogs first... and made sure the flues were clear... and the radiators were bled?

I turned mine on a couple of weeks ago... shiver... I hate winter. Got caught out twice this week by heavy rain and no brolly and felt like I'd been in a cold shower. Yuck!

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Applespider said:
Hope you checked the furnace for any sleeping hedgehogs first... and made sure the flues were clear... and the radiators were bled?

I turned mine on a couple of weeks ago... shiver... I hate winter. Got caught out twice this week by heavy rain and no brolly and felt like I'd been in a cold shower. Yuck!

We have a heat pump...no hedgehogs. Just turn it on and bingo!

I'd prefer light a fire in the fireplace, but no firewood in the house. :(

Cold, damp, rainy. Not doing much for my mood, I'm afraid!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I love you iGary and Applespider. This is definitely the thread for me... darned icky winter weather! I heard the heater kick on last night around 3:15am. Hee, but I'd be willing to bet that Maryland and London are both a good bit colder than California. :eek:

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
devilot76 said:
I love you iGary and Applespider. This is definitely the thread for me... darned icky winter weather! I heard the heater kick on last night around 3:15am. Hee, but I'd be willing to bet that Maryland and London are both a good bit colder than California. :eek:

I'd move to the West Coast in a heartbeat!

The Power Mac is running a good 10 degrees cooler, though, so all's not lost.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I love Winter more than Summer. The air is fresher and I like cold licks on my skin.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I kinda lucked out my new apartment i only pay electric. So no bills for gas, water, trash etc. So i can heat away, incase any of you are interested and from DE,MD,WV(Thats unfortunate),NJ(As bad as WV), or DC you can buy CO2 emission credits to reduce the fossil fuels used for your utilities. You can select what method of alternative energy you'd like to pay for as well solar, wind, agricultural whatever and it's alot cheaper then you may think, PM if you wanna know more!

I'm an Environmental Science major and so we kinda hear alot about this obviously.

Edit: Oh i forgot to add the link it's http://www.CleanYourAir.org it's in my sig as well!! SIGN UP!!!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
It froze last night...I had little rings of frost on my windows when I woke up. It was a beautiful, crisp morning. Fresh, clean air, bright blue sky and a little breeze...I love winter! :)

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
luckily my student flat here is pretty ***** awesome isolated.. in the last 3 years i think i turned on the heat about 3 times to 3 (of five) for a few hours

and yes we have -15° C winters ;)

at the moment i'm sitting here with short trosuers and tshirt and for going out i have to put on long rousers, an additional pullover.. an anorak 8+gloves +cap in the morning)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm a winter lover as well. The air is crisp. Its hard to explain, but sometimes I'll walk outside with just a t-shirt (or nothing but my boxers) for a few minutes. Hard nipples and major shrinkage is imminent, but it feels refreshing breathing such crisp air.

I'll only do that if the air is still, though. If it's windy, then I'd die in the Canadian winter without enough clothing.

I have this theory that it doesn't matter

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i dont mind winter, but i love the fall and spring seasons the best.

we turned our heat on a few weeks ago for a little bit, i didn't see any reason to personally, but oh well.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Haven't needed any heat yet. I'm on the sunny side and top floor of a small 5-story block so get residual building warmth from below that keeps the place warm well into the evening. Quite often at this time of the year, I'll just throw on a thick fluffy dressing gown rather than put the fire on...

But... on Tuesday morning at 8am several guys are arriving to install the new gas-fired electronically-controlled central heating system with a new boiler, tanks, radiators and thermostat.

Although I'm looking forward to it, the resulting mess and reorganisation of furniture will be a complete pain as they're taking 3 days to do it. Have to move a lot of stuff (e.g. desk & Mac, bed, wardrobes) away from the walls so they can put piping in and remove old bits and pieces.

They also need access behind all the kitchen units so currently piled up before me in the living room are the contents of the kitchen boxes and drawers... I can almost reach over and grab the cutlery.

I also have to dismantle the bed and sleep on an airbed for a few days as some old ducts are hidden behind my bed. For those of you accustomed to large properties, let me share with you the approximate physical interior dimensions of my entire flat: 6.5 metres x 4.5 metres :eek: Such is London life...

So come Friday, once the heat is back on and the Mac reconnected, I think I shall post in the nude. :D

And no, I don't have an iSight.

Stinkythe1

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I like colder weather better than hot weather, because to me it seems easier to get warm than to cool off. And here I am in south mississippi where winter doesn't start until mid January.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Blue Velvet said:
Haven't needed any heat yet. I'm on the sunny side and top floor of a small 5-story block so get residual building warmth from below that keeps the place warm well into the evening. Quite often at this time of the year, I'll just throw on a thick fluffy dressing gown rather than put the fire on...

But... on Tuesday morning at 8am several guys are arriving to install the new gas-fired electronically-controlled central heating system with a new boiler, tanks, radiators and thermostat.

Although I'm looking forward to it, the resulting mess and reorganisation of furniture will be a complete pain as they're taking 3 days to do it. Have to move a lot of stuff (e.g. desk & Mac, bed, wardrobes) away from the walls so they can put piping in and remove old bits and pieces.

They also need access behind all the kitchen units so currently piled up before me in the living room are the contents of the kitchen boxes and drawers... I can almost reach over and grab the cutlery.

I also have to dismantle the bed and sleep on an airbed for a few days as some old ducts are hidden behind my bed. For those of you accustomed to large properties, let me share with you the approximate physical interior dimensions of my entire flat: 6.5 metres x 4.5 metres :eek: Such is London life...

So come Friday, once the heat is back on and the Mac reconnected, I think I shall post in the nude. :D

Do you have an iSight? :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Jaffa Cake said:
You never know, some kindly members might organise a whip-round for you. ;)

Don't even want to think of how our American friends will read that phrase... :D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
You work in a graphic design/publishing place, right? There must be some imaging device available. A flatbed scanner, perhaps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.