Turning a photo into a clip adds desktop.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GKThursday, Sep 21, 2006.

1. GKThursday macrumors regular

GKThursday

Hi all,
    I've gotten into DV a bit lately, and have been using iMovie 6 until I can get FCE later this year. I am importing some large pictures into iMovie, and when I do, it will add 1/100th of a second of my screen all scrambled at the beginning, and sometimes randomly throughout the clip. I am on an iBook g4 with 1.25 Gigs of RAM, is this just because of the video card? I have imported an 800 MB quicktime movie before, and didn't have any problem, but I can't seem to get this 2.2 MB picture to import properly.
    oh, and I sometimes when I try to adjust the photo settings after placing the image, all I get is the scrambled screen in the preview section.

Thanks for in advance for any help.

Thursday

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Just to be sure I understand your question:
    What format are the pics? jpg, tiff, png
    Are you using the Import feature under the Menu or Photo under Clip Pane?
    Is the pic showing up in your Clip Pane?
    Have you set Preferences>Advance>New Clips to Clip Pane?

3. GKThursday thread starter macrumors regular

GKThursday

It's a Jpeg. It is in the pane, I did some edits to it in iPhoto first, just cropping and a such.
    I've never had problems like this in the other projects I've done.

Thanks,
    Thursday

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Hmm. Strange. Just a quick search, I found this similar troubleshoot where the person decreased size and relocated their pics for a fix with importing. I don't know that this applies, though.

5. GKThursday thread starter macrumors regular

GKThursday

Okay, here is a bit more information.
    I tried making this photo into a 12 second clip: http://veimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/7104/world.topo.bathy.200405.3x5400x2700.jpg. Don't click if you have a very slow computer/internet connection!
    I had cropped it to just Africa, and Europe.
    Originally, I had my project set to 720p; but the entire clip was garbled when I put it in, so I tried again with just DV. Now it is only garbled for the first 1/100th of a second, and sometimes randomly throughout the clip.
    I have worked in 720p before, and even though it takes forever for the final render, it works well. I have put hi res images that are bigger than this one into iMovie before, and it worked fine.
    Can anyone else reproduce this?

Thanks,
    Thursday

6. GKThursday thread starter macrumors regular

GKThursday

Problem Solved. . . I think. . .

Okay, I think I've solved the problem with importing. I was mirroring my iBook onto my PC's monitor, and I think it was just too much for my graphics card to do that and import hi-res images.
    Thanks for anyone who tried to help

Thursday