Turning an iMac with LCD into an eternal monitor

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mac4Brains, Nov 17, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Mac4Brains

Hi Guys:

I have a first gen iMac 24 Intel with a dead logic board. However everything works in it. The screen, power supply, isite, speakers. appear to work fine. I got a MacBook Pro to replace it and I wanted to know if there is a way to turn the old iMac into something that is more like the Apple 24” display, even if I need to do electronics work in it.

I am in IT and have access to a lot of dead stuff I can scavenge for parts. I am also an electronic technician, so I should be able to do this. I just don’t know what I need to do.

Hunting down info on this topic has come with that there are controller issues. If I can pull a controller out of another dead LCD display that I happen to have, I can see it working. I can even see the possibility of adding the electronics from a USB hub to pipe USB functions over a DVI cable. And get the iSite and speakers working.

If anyone knows of a web site that can point me in a fruitful direction PLEASE place a response in this thread. My old lady is driving me nuts about getting rid of old iMac and I just don’t want to do it.

Thank You!:D

2. macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Wrong forum. You are talking about intel macs in the PPC forum. Try the iMac forum.