Turning down a job offer after accepting?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ktbubster, Nov 4, 2008.

  1. macrumors 6502a

    ktbubster

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #1
    Ok, I wasn't sure where to post this, but I have a conundrum.

    I have been looking for a job for a while (the last few months) and about a month or so ago I had interviewed at a place that I liked well enough, but wasn't my dream job, but a pretty decent first job. In any case, last week I got a call and they offered me the job I interviewed for. They said they would call back with more information in a day or two so I had time to think and I verbally accepted when they called me (it's out of town a few hours so I couldn't go in) and we agreed on a tentative starting date.

    Anyway, right before they called me I had interviewed at another company in the same area (unrelated fields btw). Company B i thought would be a MUCH better fit for me and a much better direction for me to go as far as where I want to be later, however I didn't expect much from the interview only because they had a lot other candidates, a lot that didn't require relocation etc.

    Anyway, my start date at Company A is a bit over a week away, and today I got a call from Company B making me a job offer as well. They will be calling/sending more information and making a more formal offer in a day or so. Now, I know I have to be smart and wait for the formal stuff etc etc as to not lose two jobs...

    However, my question is, how do I handle turning down or backing out of the offer that Company A has be set up for for the last week?

    Note: I have NOT signed any papers nor seen them in person since the offer as they are a few hours away.

    It's been about 1.5 weeks since the job offer and I know that was valuable time they will see as wasted, although I am aware that if I left after 2 months or something that would be even more wasted down the line.

    I feel really bad doing it as they probably have put my name in their system etc, but Company B is a MUCH better fit for me and the direction I want to go in my career so it's really a no brainer that I take that job and leave the other one behind.

    So... any suggestions from people in HR, small companies, people in this situation before.. etc etc. would be very very welcome
     
  2. macrumors 65816

    Rapmastac1

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Location:
    In the Depths of the SLC!
    #2
    Just call the employer asap and tell them that you can't go in.

    "Hey this is [name]. I regret to inform you that I have gotten a call a few days ago about another job offer that would better fulfill my needs at this time. I thought about it for a little bit and I have decided to go with their offer. Thank you for your time and I apologize for the inconvenience."

    If that doesn't do it, I dunno what will...
     
  3. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    #3
    This is business. There are no feelings involved, so do not feel bad.

    Simply tell them you have accepted a better offer and thank them for their previous offer.
     
  4. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #4
    You've not signed anything, so you are well within your right to say to the first company: "Thankyou, but no thanks..." and go with your preferred choice. I did so too for my first job, got two great offers but preferred one over the other, and that one came after I verbally said yes.

    Just remember, Company A would have no hard feelings or remorse in turning around and saying no to you, you should not have the other way around. Just be polite, courteous and above all thankfull when you speak to them.

    Well done, and congratulations.
     
  5. macrumors 68020

    Raid

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2003
    Location:
    Toronto
    #5
    ktbubster, I was in almost the same situation just more than a year ago, it's best to inform 'Company A' right away. I'd call and have a talk with the HR person or manager that you dealt with during the interview and explain that you appreciate the opportunity that they extended to you but you've received a position at another company that is closer to your career goals.

    There might be some disappointment from whomever you talk to in 'Company A' but I'm sure they will appreciate as much notice as possible to call back other candidates.
     
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ktbubster

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #6
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice/help/congrats :)
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    rpaloalto

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2005
    Location:
    Palo Alto CA.
    #7
    Yes, defiantly call company A as soon as you can. They wont be mad at you. They will actually appreciate it.

    Just make sure that company B is serious about hiring you. Is it a for sure thing? Are they hiring you for the job you applied for? Is it full time permanent work? make sure it's not just for some temporary project.
     
  8. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2008
    #8
    lucky you, at least you have an job offer to turn down..i'm still looking for a job...:(
     
  9. 7on
    macrumors 601

    7on

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2003
    Location:
    Dress Rosa
    #9
    Companies have no feelings. They'll find a way to manage without you.
     
  10. macrumors G5

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #10
    Agreed. I would also add that you believe the other company would be a better fit with your long term goals.

    Congrats on your 2 job offers!
     
  11. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2012
    #11
    Turning down a signed offer after accepting it

    I was looking for a job, and company A gave me a job offer and I accepted it. Two days later I got a call from a company B for which I interviewed two months back but I didn't hear anything back so I thought that I didn't get it. They gave me a better offer and it's exactly for what I was looking for s/w sales exec but the other Company i.e. company A is a technical consulting firm and it's an entry level position. So now if i compare company A and company B , Comapny B is giving me a better position, a better salary but its bit far 15 miles more to drive as compared to other company A.
    What & how should i tell company A that i have accepted a better offer :( i don't want to ruin my name in the industry..I really don't know how it will effect my career?? please help
     
  12. macrumors G5

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #12
    This sounds pretty good to me.
     
  13. macrumors G3

    Apple fanboy

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2012
    Location:
    Behind the lens, UK
    #13
    Like others have said, it's better to tell a company before you start that you have had a better offer elsewhere. Otherwise they will waste time and resources training you and stuff. And who knows the first company may make a better counter offer!
    Just always be thankful and state the reasons the other offer is a better choice for you. It's business not choosing which friend to sit by in school. They won't take it personally.
     
  14. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2012
    #14
    Thanks

    Thanks Guys I will call the HR and will let u know the result :)
     
  15. macrumors 65816

    wvuwhat

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
    #15
    Tell company A to call me.
     
  16. macrumors member

    dauber

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2012
    Location:
    Chicago
    #16
    If that job you don't want is in Chicago, let ME take it off your hands -- been laid off since August. :)
     
  17. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2010
    #17
    Can I ask what type of jobs these are? What field are they in. Not that it matters since you've made your decision, I'm just curious.
     
  18. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2011
    #18
    Explain company B you are interested in working with them but you got a call from another company and that you would like company B to confirm you ASAP because of the circumstances because you would have to call company A to turn them down and you do not want to waste company A time. It is a gentleman thing to do.

    I am sure company B will like your honesty and the way you are resolving the situation in a polite manner and that tells good things about you.

    Then, call company A and tell them. People, I got another offer from another company and I am calling you to let you know so you can make the arrangement. I am calling you because I know your time is valuable and I am flattered you gave me the offer.

    Or say anything that makes them feel you for real appreciate you being chose, so in the future you can contact them again and they know you are a gentleman.

    That is it.
     
  19. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2011
    Location:
    Essex, england
    #19
    hope you don't mind me nosing, but what kinds of jobs have you been interviewed for?
     
  20. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #20
    Had this same thing happen to me, but a big different.

    Two jobs called, I took Job B instead of A, and went to work for them. It turned out to be a bad decision aftering being there 3-6 months and applied for the other company again since they had a position open. They never acknowledged that I submitted it like the first time so I called. They said they have me down in the system as not hireable because of me turning them down after already accepting.

    So I had to deal with that other job for a long time and now 6 years later, landed in a much better company. But either way, it can hurt you too.
     
  21. macrumors G3

    Apple fanboy

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2012
    Location:
    Behind the lens, UK
    #21
    Sorry to hear you have been laid off, but how come your down as a vendor if you have no job?
     
  22. macrumors 6502a

    famous600

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2010
    #22
    You think company A OR B has any problem sending you a "sorry we decided to proceed with other candidates" letter? Its the same deal except now you hold the letter.
     
  23. macrumors 68020

    someguy

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2005
    Location:
    Still here.
    #23
    Do what's right for you. I was in a similar situation recently and that's what I did.
     
  24. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2011
    #24
    Just tell them, "This is very tough, I'm going to take my talents to South Beach."
     
  25. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2012
    #25
    Exactly. If the shoe were on the other foot they would have no problem telling you thanks but no thanks. Give them the courtesy of a call then get on with your life and don't look back.

    Jeff
     

Share This Page