Turning down, or stopping start up sound

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imac abuser, Mar 1, 2006.

1. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

How Can I change lower the volume, or turn off a start up noise? When I have my speakers plugged in even if the volume is low the start up apple noise is so loud it's crazy help

thanks
    chris

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Sys Prefs > Sound > Sound Effects > Alert Volume (i believe)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

4. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I always hit the mute just before I shut down. Then I just turn on the sound when I need it.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This suppresses the loud BONG!!!! sound that happens when you start the computer up? I never knew that! Wow. :)

6. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

damn that was a great application, but it doesn't work with an intel mac! what's crappy thing. Anyone else?

Thanks
    Chris

7. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Did you try the mute button? Before you shutdown or go to sleep, mute your sound. I don't know how your keyboard is set up but the f3 button on mine mutes the sound. I just hit that key and close my laptop. Just make sure to remember that you did this...the first time I did I kinda forgot, and when my computer started up without the sound I had a whole 20 seconds of wild heart palpitations, thinking something was drastically wrong. Duh...

8. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Yeah, I know i can do it that way but come on lol a 2000.00 + computer can't do something so simple. Apple is so good to use, and accomidating I guess I just found the one thing that ticks me off that they haven't addressed yet.

Chris

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well...since you brought that up. :p It's a Mac. Why should you need to restart it more often than once every three weeks or so? :) Just put it to sleep.

But hopefully one of the applications or mods that can kill that startup sound will be Intellized very soon.

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

I agree. It should be something simple that is implemented in the Open Firmware/EFI of every Mac. Starting a computer should be discrete by default. I know that for a lot of college students, it would cause a bunch of disruption. I had some professors that would say things when someone's laptop/cellphone or whatever would go off.

11. Melkor macrumors 6502

I love the loud bong, and I wouldn;t have it any other way :D

12. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

I love bongs too.....oh....you mean the computer sound...woops..:p

13. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Holding the mute button when you turn on the computer will silence the sound too. Although the 'Bong' is just one of those things that makes a mac, a mac.

14. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

haha I know, but I don't want to go through all that. You know I was going to ditch my harmon kardon sound sticks because i thought it was just them lol

chris