Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elliotay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
I just recently purchased the new 17" iMac and was wondering if it's possible to turn it into an Airport BaseStation. I have an 500 mHz iBook and would very much like to be able to use the wireless capabilities of it. Does anyone know how to do this on the new iMac or even know if it's possible to do this? Thanks.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
I think you can do this in JAg, but I don't know how, first you have to have airport cards, of course. I don't know if its going to be just file sharing airport or internet sharing or what. I wonder about the range too. I would think it would be fine with two macs and a small space, though.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
pretty origional idea, but im pretty sure that u need an airport basestation. you could use ur imac as the host computer, tho.

kungfu

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
on apple.com, for jaguar, it says "Auto-configure AirPort and use your Mac as a base station." I have jag though and I haven't been able to figure this out either...?

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
You used to in OS9 be able to configure your comp as a base station and I dont really see that option available in OSX but what I think you can do is this:

Open internet connect turn airport on and where it says network choose create network. Name it and give it a password. This creates a computer to computer network and you should (I say should cause I dont have 2 macs here with airport cards) be able to open up your ibook and it will see the computer to computer network. What I dont know is if it will assign you and ip and let you use the internet. Try it and let us know

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Um, yeah you can

Well, if you don't have, or don't want to get Jaguar, you can boot the iMac into OS 9, and run Software Base Station from the iMac, and your iBook will pick it up just fine. As was stated before though, you obviously need to have Airport cards installed on both machines. Not sure about Jaguar, as I don't have mine yet. It IS listed in the features of OS X Jaguar, but like I said, I don't have it yet to play with it.

Gus

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i know you can share data between 2 comps without the basestation as long as they both have Airport cards. not sure about sharing the connection though. perhaps when Rendesvous comes out because i believe it allows you to run apps from another machine. maybe it will let you run a borwser. cool idea though.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Just read the last post

I don't think it will let you use the other macs internet connection through Computer to Computer. There MAY be a way around it, but I've tried this, and all it does is allow me to share files wirelessly with the other mac.

Just my 2¢

Gus

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
apple is coming out with "Software Airport Base Station" presumably with or after the release f jaguar. Basically all you will need is an airport equipped mac wired to the internet. The physically wired computer can then share the internet via the airport card and software airport. soon....but not soon enough...

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago

elliotay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
My existing iBook has an Airport Card and my new iMac is coming equipped w/ one. I can't test it out w/ Jaguar yet because I don't have my iMac yet. I'm sending it up to school and it should be there right around when I get there in about a week. So I'll post about my progress once I get up there and get my new iMac all set up. Thanks for all the help.

kungfu

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
i found out how to do this tonight and its really easy... if you go into the sharing preference panel (in jaguar) there is a tab that says internet which allows you to share your internet connection... then there are other options that allow you to share your connection over airport that let you change the network name, password, etc... so basically the os 9 version of software base station is built into the sharing preferences.

kungfu

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Originally posted by kungfu
i found out how to do this tonight and its really easy... if you go into the sharing preference panel (in jaguar) there is a tab that says internet which allows you to share your internet connection... then there are other options that allow you to share your connection over airport that let you change the network name, password, etc... so basically the os 9 version of software base station is built into the sharing preferences.

kungfu

interesting read. does this mean, 2 ibooks (for example) with airportcards installed, can communicate without a base station? have you tested this?

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by redAPPLE

interesting read. does this mean, 2 ibooks (for example) with airportcards installed, can communicate without a base station? have you tested this?

The Connection Sharing in Jaguar works basically the same way as Software Base Station in OS 9, meaning that the answer to your question is yes. Even cooler is Jaguar's ability to share an Airport connection as well as an ethernet or modem connection. For instance, I was at work and was unable to find a network drop to plug in a G4 933 with no Airport card. I solved the problem by connecting the G4's NIC to my iBook's NIC and using the iBook as an Airport to Ethernet bridge. This was all done using Jaguar's built-in router.

Way cool.:D

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
interesting...

i guess you connected the g4 nic with the ibook nic with a crossover cable right?

i would love to know how everything was configured.

does jaguar do everything automatically?

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Originally posted by redAPPLE
i guess you connected the g4 nic with the ibook nic with a crossover cable right?
macs do auto sensing so they see that they are connected to another computer and change automagically the port to cross over type

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
I have a powerbook g4 and my girlfriend has the new iMac. Ive done the software basestation using the imac as the server. Its really easy. My laptop is wireless right now. If anyone still wants to know how to do this please feel free to holler at me. rock!

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Originally posted by krossfyter
I have a powerbook g4 and my girlfriend has the new iMac. Ive done the software basestation using the imac as the server. Its really easy. My laptop is wireless right now. If anyone still wants to know how to do this please feel free to holler at me. rock!

i am new to this "software base station". does the g4 need to have an airport card installed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.