Turning off iMac G5 display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Einrel Koral, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Einrel Koral macrumors newbie

This is probably a pretty stupid question, but is there a way to manually turn off just the display on an iMac G5 without putting the whole computer to sleep? Then again, I wouldn't know if it's better for the computer to put it to sleep or not, but I tend to leave my computers on for long periods of time.

2. supergod macrumors 6502

Go into system preferences and the go into energy saver. Configure it so that your computer does not go to sleep and that your display goes to sleep after a specified period of time.

3. Einrel Koral thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought I said "manually" up there. As in, turn off the display whenever I feel like it, rather than having to wait every time I decide the display needs to turn off without making the computer sleep.

4. paperinacup macrumors 6502

I actually don't think there is a way to manually turn it off. Can you turn the contrast/brightness off? Just an idea not sure if the iMac can do that though.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Setting the displaysleep to one minute really is the most reasonable way to make it happen :(

You can use the pmset command, perhaps with little Applescript wrappers, to make changing the sleep delay a little less obnoxious than opening up the display prefs.

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I know you can turn the PowerBook display off by turning the brightness all the way down... does that not work on the iMac?

7. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

That does not turn the display off. I would use system preferences because that lessens the life of the display.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Unfortunately, nope. :(

9. aznsal612 macrumors member

Okay sassy pants. We read what you wrote. And no, you can't.

/returned sassypantsness.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not sure if the iMac would fall asleep after this, but it'd probably make the screen go dark... :)

[​IMG]