Turning off iMac G5 Screen

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by coconn06, Sep 22, 2004.

1. coconn06 macrumors regular

I was just at the Apple store in KoP, PA, and I asked about whether it was possibly to turn off the screen of the iMac (this may have been an issue with the iMac G4, but I don't have one). I want to know because I'd like to leave my computer on and not asleep at night, to allow network traffic, without emitting any light in my bedroom.

I can only think of workarounds like setting the display to sleep after 1 min every night before bed, or creating an all-black screensaver, but those aren't ideal (with my iBook I can turn off the display by pressing just one button).

Is there something I, or the employees of the Apple store, are missing?

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

You could dim the screen to zero with F13 (I think). I don't know why making the display sleep after 3 minutes in System Preferences > Energy Saver doesn't appeal to you, but maybe F13 will.

3. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

The screen is dimmed using the F14 key, however, setting it to the lowest brightness does not turn of the screen as it does on iBook and PowerBooks. I don't know how to turn off the display without using the Energy Saver preference pane.

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I believe you can just sleep the display. At least my Powerbook can, and it is also an all-in-one.

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

The OP thinks waiting for the display to sleep takes too much time.

But here's a quick solution. Get some tape and stick this in front of the display.

[​IMG]

6. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

7. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

fuzzy balls your a very cynical person, kinda like horrortaxi.

8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Yes and yes. I'm glad you two noticed. Why give people the run around when you can give them the quickest solution?

9. coconn06 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks FuzzyBallz, you're a huge help :p

It's not that this is a HUGE deal, it's just something I'd expected Apple to think of. Like a button on the monitor that just turns it off.

I'll probably ending writing an Applescript (or using Automator!) to make this less of an annoyance.