Turning off notification sounds but keeping alarm on?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by kat.hayes, Feb 5, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Using a Note2, is there a way to turn off all notification sounds from email, facebook, text message, etc. so they do not go off during the night, though my alarm set for the morning will still go off?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 601

Vegastouch

Yeah, go into the settings for each and uncheck notifications. I dnt use the phone alarm but id think that it would still work if the silence button is on if the alarm is activated but i dont really know.

3. macrumors 6502

Put you phone on silent or vibrate. Do this with the toggles in the notification window or through settings. Now you won't hear anything from notifications or phone calls. Your alarm will still sound in the morning no problem.

4. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Pretty sure the alarm volume is completely seperate from the notification volume so you should be able to just turn you volume down to silent or vibrate. That how it works on my galaxy nexus at least. You shouldn't need to touch any individual app settings like the second poster said.

5. macrumors 6502

I didn't mention any individual app settings. I stated to go into phone settings to put the phone into silent or vibrate mode in order to not hear any notifications throughout the night. That's what the OP was asking.

6. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Wasn't referring to you. Post above you.

7. macrumors 601

Vegastouch

I did, which is one way but shouldnt have to. Like i said i dont use my phone alarm but would assume it would still work in silent mode.

8. macrumors 6502

Got it.

9. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

That is why that "do not disturb" feature is actually really good on ios 6 :)

Damn emails and notifications use to wake me all of the time.

10. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Android has had quiet hours for years now. Is the exact same thing.

11. macrumors 6502a

doesn't the Note have "blocking mode" where you can disable notifications between certain hours. Alarm will still go off.

12. macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I never noticed that in the settings thanks for the heads up. Why doesn't Samsung advertise this feature? It's revolutionary and deserves it's own commercial.

13. macrumors 68030

Tinmania

As pointed out, Blocking Mode, with alarms enabled, would do that. I leave the LED enabled too, so I can still glance at my phone to see if any notifications came in.

Michael

14. macrumors 601

Vegastouch

GS3 has this feature as well.

15. macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Muh sides!

16. macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I have the perfect solution for you. I use this widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.leepstudios.VolumeWidget

This widget allows you to set up 3 sound profiles. I set one up as my sleep profile. I configure one of the profiles (I call Sleep) to turn off notification sounds while keeping my ring tone and alarm volume on. I just tap on the widget to set the Sleep profile when I go to bed. When I wake up, I tap the widget again to set my daytime sound profile that has notifications turn on.

Just install the widget and then add the widget to your home screen. There is a button on the widget to configure the 3 sound profiles. There are 3 buttons on the widget to allow you to select any of the 3.