Turning off the pulsing 'sleep' light

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NickD, Mar 25, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I sleep right next to my Mac, and sometimes, the pulsing sleep light causes me to stay awake, therefore compelling me to shut off my computer at night. However, I want to have the computer remain on through the night, but don't like the sleep light, and want to turn it off somehow. I could technically just hibernate my mac, but I don't want to do that either.

How do I set any preferences or settings, so that the pulsing sleep light does not turn on when my mac is sleeping?

-NickD-

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Not really an option to turn it off. The best you can do is throw a shirt over it or something.

3. spellflower macrumors regular

I have that problem too. I sleep with a blindfold, though, which keeps it in check. If that doesn't suit you, you could try putting a sticker over it.

4. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I have one of the older white/clear ACDs that has the sleep light from Hell problem. I actually use a little piece of plastic (with paper on the side that touches the monitor, so it won't scratch) to lay over it at night. Works pretty well...sometimes setting the plastic against the light would make the machine up, but I just disabled the switch in the monitors preference panel (I don't know if the iMac has the same option or not)...I just use the keyboard or mouse to wake it up.

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

7. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

LOL...

I just give up and shut it off... but i have an old CRT iMac... so that lets it cool down anyway...

Blinky light of DOOM!! :p

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

a pack of gum could also work. also, you could shut the computer off and set it to turn on every morning before you wake up (energy saver system prefs).