Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

turntablefm.jpg

Breakout music-sharing startup Turntable.fm released its much anticipated iPhone app today. Turntable.fm is a social music service, with a DJ-twist.

From Gizmodo's thorough explanation of the service:
Turntable is a musical chat room. You like talking to your friends. You like playing your favorite songs. You like hearing good songs you didn't pick. Turntable puts all of these nice things into one cartoonish online dance floor. Five DJs at a time queue up tracks of their choosing, while everyone else sits back and enjoys. Or doesn't enjoy! If a dud comes on, the audience can vote it off the speakers with enough dislike clicks. Or if a DJ's playing good stuff, you can reward them with likes, which translate into points, which are worn around as a badge of distinguished taste.
The service, which intentionally slowed its growth by only allowing in users who had Facebook friends already in the service, has now opened up to anyone with a Facebook account.

The iPhone app, released today, completely replicates the desktop experience.
You can create your own Turntable.fm rooms, or start DJing within a current room, right from within the app.

[...]

For an initial release, the app is reasonably polished. Everything takes a bit longer than the desktop version of Turntable.fm -- like joining new rooms, or creating a room -- but the fact that it works at all is amazing. Surprisingly, it even works well over 3G, although music switching and room joining suffers even more delays because of it.
Turntable.fm is available free on the App Store. Users need a Facebook account to use the service. [iTunes]

Article Link: Turntable.fm Releases iPhone App

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
A little buggy right now. Joining/leaving rooms takes a long time. Songs take a while to play and skip occasionally. But tons of potential.

Haven't figured out how to play music if you're a DJ yet.

Edit: Oh my god, serious bug. I was just playing with it, and the music froze (that's a bug in itself). But then I closed the app (double home button and X'd out closed), and a minute or so later music started playing by itself on my phone. That's not good.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
A little buggy right now. Joining/leaving rooms takes a long time. Songs take a while to play and skip occasionally. But tons of potential.

Haven't figured out how to play music if you're a DJ yet.

Edit: Oh my god, serious bug. I was just playing with it, and the music froze (that's a bug in itself). But then I closed the app (double home button and X'd out closed), and a minute or so later music started playing by itself on my phone. That's not good.

A Ghost In The Machine.;)

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
If it could be AirPlay-enabled, I'm sold. I typically listen to music via my Apple TV (when it's working) and I stopped because I was just going to a room on this for the past couple months. Downside was I had to listen with desktop speakers, not my sound bar. AirPlay-enable this, and I will never use the iPod app again.

Well, maybe a few times.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Turn it up.

Awesome. Turntable has become my favorite way to listen to music and I've wanted an iPhone app since I started using it.
I'm surprised, and pleased, that MacRumors covered this, but thanks.

bobreck

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
If it could be AirPlay-enabled, I'm sold. I typically listen to music via my Apple TV (when it's working) and I stopped because I was just going to a room on this for the past couple months. Downside was I had to listen with desktop speakers, not my sound bar. AirPlay-enable this, and I will never use the iPod app again.

Well, maybe a few times.

It is air-play enabled. It's also full of bugs and the search sucks.

bobreck

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
How do i get it to work on airplay?

Enter a room and wait for it to start playing the music. Then return to the room list. The volume bar will appear at the bottom of the list and the airplay selector will be there at the right of it.

TBR

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2004
Blackpool - England
well..........

This sounds really good, just the kind of thing I would love to use.........where is it in the app store?

Search the web, go to home page,

"We're very sorry, but while we would love to let you in and rock out with us, we need to currently restrict turntable access to only the United States due to licensing constraints. "

US only................

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!

- could you mention this in your post so as not to get the rest of the planet excited again about yet another US only feature/app/service etc.

jkollin

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2011
to Bobreck - Thanks!

to TBR - Nothing new here - TT has been US only for a while due to legal BS, Why would an iPhone app change that?

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Please WRITE something!!! Do some REPORTING!

Why in Gods name is nobody calling TTfm out on how buggy their website is and especially their iPhone application.

It's very suspect how many of the popular rooms seem to have little issue but the majority of the rooms are dealing with all sorts of issues. I realize the website is new and they are growing faster than expected BUT they just secured some healthy funding which should help expedite the refinement of the site and app development. This is the area they need to focus on and stop promoting Artist rooms/Special events. There is no point if the site has major issues. It would great if someone can actually write something comprehensive about this because TTfm isn't saying a word.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.