[Tutorial] How to "convert" .pages iWork files to DOC (or whatever you like)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ivalegre, Oct 8, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 8, 2009
    I haven't found anything on internet about this, so how I had founded a solution, I want to share it.

One day, my Macbook White brokes and I needed to recover a curriculum, and it was in a .pages file. So I had to recover it in Windows, because I have no one who could convert it in Pages.

1º Rename .pages file and add .zip extension. That makes the content of the package visible with any zip utility, (in my case WinRAR).

2º Uncompress the package.

3º Go to QuickLook and search for Preview.pdf. That's a pdf file that contains a low quality version of your pages document. Almost all of the content is in index.xml, but It's very difficult to extract manually the information.

4º Convert the pdf file to doc with any pdf converter. For example: http://www.pdftoword.com/

5º If your document has attachments (like images), you can replace low quality images of Doc document with the original images located in the uncompressed package.

That's it, of course this works for me with a simple Pages document with an image, that doesn't mean that works for every .pages file.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2008
    Dallas - Fort Worth, Texas
    Pages file = save as RTF on Mac. Move to Windows platform, open with WordPad. You're done. :) (you don't need MS Office)