TV as external display for iBook?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by OldCorpse, Nov 21, 2006.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

This may sound weird, but I don't own a TV, so I can't check this out...

For thxgvg, I'm going to my friend's place, and I'd like to use his big screen TV as a monitor to hook up to my 1.33ghz G4 12" iBook. Basically I want to display an app window on his TV (77 Million Paintings by Brian Eno - it's a bunch of paintings/images slowly morphing).

I wanted this to be a surprise: I'll bring my iBook with the app loaded on it, hook up to his TV and have a little show. Is it possible without a whole lot of trouble? And yes, I have the monitor spanning thingie on my iBook. TIA!

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not a problem at all, you need the Apple Video Adapter, to connect your iBook to the TV, but once you have that it's plug'n'play... :)

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

gah... nvm i thought it said "can" in his sig instead of "cant" ignore post

Other than that yes it works flawlessly :)

4. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Thank you people!

Btw. the "77 million Paintings" app is a tricky one in that it has to be the active window at all times, since the whole point is that the "paintings" constantly morph. It is impossible to work in another app on your laptop screen while having the 77mp run on the external display (since the app doesn't work like a reference screen)... it's either one, or the other!

5. tehybrid macrumors member

This is a great way if you are using an old analog tv, but when you buy you next tv, make sure it has DVi and it is painless. I currently have a 30" LCD tv on top of my mini and it cost MUCH less than an equal size cinema display.