TV Card

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Ledshell, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Ledshell macrumors newbie

Ledshell

I was wondering if any one could tell me if an available PCI card exists that would allow me to turn my 17in Display(via my PowerMac) into a TV as well as a computer monitor(which is its current use). I would hate to have to buy a TV just to use my Xbox. There are some options that allow me to capture video from an Xbox (El Gato), however, I can't seem to find a PCI card that allows me to play Xbox and PS2 in real time. The new ATI All-in-Wonder offers support for gaming systems, alas its only for the peecee. So, if anyone knows of a card, or even an external box (one which works with the Apple 17in display), that would allow me to play my Xbox that would be great. Thanks so much! JC.:)

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

TV

Buy a TV. Think...I know you cant get the Radeon AIW, but it would be about 250 dollars if you could.

You can pick up a 23" TV or so for 149 if you shop around.

3. Ledshell thread starter macrumors newbie

Ledshell

Yea, buying a TV is an option, but there has to be a Mac equivalent to the Radeon AIW. It's just extremely convenient to have it all setup on the same monitor and not to lug around a TV where I go. So, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it! JC.

4. vniow macrumors G4

5. macrat macrumors regular

Go to MacConnection or other Resellers, click on Video & Sound, and then click on TV tuner.

You can watch TV on your laptop plus more! I haven't tried this on a Mac yet (because I am still waiting for my "f......g" Powerbook 17, hopefully in 4 days unless Apple will crap out on their shipments again) but I had this on my Dell Laptop and it's great. You can surf the net while watching your favorite ball game.

6. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Any tuner for a laptop won't work for what he wants. He needs a PCI solution because any firewire or USB device has lag that will make console gaming near impossible.

7. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

thanks vniow. that's what i have been looking for. it's amazing what you can find by just clicking a link. thanks again.

8. Ledshell thread starter macrumors newbie

Ledshell

Firstly, thanks very much for the feedback. However, the shizzle link will not allow me to use a gaming console, secondly the solutions at macconsultant (the Aver Box3 especially) will work for a VGA connector, but Apple's own funky sh*t ADC connector isn't really an option. Although I suppose I could by an adaptor too. Well, if any comes accross a PCI card (aka Radeon AIW), please pass along the news. Thanks! JC.

9. vniow macrumors G4

Oh, my bad, I thought you were looking for a PCI TV tuner card to capture video on your Powermac, not directly hook up your display to a console, the PCI card on the Shizzle! link does have:

* Composite (RCA / FBAS) video-input
    * S-Video input
    * FM radio input
    * Line-audio input and output (3,5mm stereo jack)
    * Antenna input (for aerial and cable connection)

So if you wanted to channel the video through your computer you could use it, but I don't think that's what you want to do....