TV Cards for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gangst, Apr 30, 2006.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Dec 27, 2004

I'm trying to decide which TV card is best for my Mac. I have a PowerMac G5 and would preferably like a PCI card TV tuner for it so it is contained and hidden, rather than an Elgato external box.
    At the moment where I have my Mac all I have is a TV aerial, can anyone give any suggestions as to what would be best to use. I've looked at the Alchemy TVR PCI card, but I get the impression it is dated and doesn't have DBT or digital and the software it uses is poor compared to other TV capture devices on the market.

Does anyone have an Alchemy TVR and what do they think of it?

Am I best to go with something from Elgato or another external TV device?

Thanks for any advice
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I have the Alchemy DVR card, and I - with some caveats - recommend it.

First, it is very convenient to have a card inside the PM - much tidier. I like Elgato products, and for many Macs they're the only option. But, for PMs, the Alchemy card clears up bit of clutter.

Plus, it's (relatively) inexpensive compared to other options, or at least roughly the same price.

The card and software support H.264, so you can get much smaller files at a given quality. However, the PM's CPU is used extensively, so there isn't hardware support for that compression.

The software is a bit finicky, and the card isn't all that new. However, it works and keeps your workspace neater.

However, if you can afford the extra cost, I'd recommend the Elgato EyeTV 250, which isn't out for a couple of weeks but which has hardware compression, EyeTV 2 (a great app), and all the connections of the Alchemy card, plus it's very small. I make that recommendation based almost purely on EyeTV 2.

if money is an issue or if having the card inside the PM appeals to you, the Alchemy DVR card is quite workable and is usable in other ways - QuickTime Broadcasting, for example - which make it interesting.
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Mac TV tuners are slim pickings and cards are even slimmer, Im not sure who makes Mac internal cards. Have to mention i bought a tv video capture card Leadtek winfast for my PC it was $20. They even put the thing on sale the next week for $10! Amazing . I doubt you can find a tv tuner card for Mac for less then $200. I almost allways have tv on in background. good luck.(Alchemy is one for Mac )
  4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    Hi. I have an Alchemy TVR card and I think they are great. Unfortunately I am having to sell this product now so if you, or anyone else, is interested please PM me. I am vased in the UK. Thanks.