tv for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RoxStrongo, May 17, 2006.

1. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

i was thinking of giving in and getting tv on my mac. if only to record stuff and watch in progressive scan. i don't want to shell out a load of cash but have found 2 products on the apple store that seem quite good. one is the EyeTV for Digital Terrestrial TV (DTT) and the other is the Miglia TVmini with EyeTV 2.0 - DTT. the latter is on special offer at the moment which makes it the more attractive option. i was just wondering if people had experiences of either of these products and what their opinions are?
    cheers

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're going to want to record as well as watch I wouldn't go with the Miglia TVmini for digital TV signals. You want something with hardware encoding unless you're touting a Dual G5 or Core Duo Mac.

3. RoxStrongo thread starter macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

i have a quad g5. what is the verdict now?

4. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Hi there! I have the Miglia TVmini - in fact I'm watching TV with it now... it's a really great product. The EyeTV software is good for basic use, and features PVR style rewinding and fast forwarding. Recording shows on my iBook works without a hitch. Here in Oxford I get 41 crystal clear channels using just the supplied aerial...

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Save the cash since your CPU can laugh at encoding the video.

6. RoxStrongo thread starter macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

ok cheers. what exactly is the difference between the two anyway?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

After taking a look at both now I realized that the EyeTV for DTT isn't the model I thought it was. There isn't much of a difference other then size. Just pick the cheaper model, neither of them include onboard MPEG encoders.