TV Help!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sikkinixx, Mar 14, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

My 19" LCD TV has suddenly gone for a crap.

When I plugged in my MB via VGA the screen showed everything, but it was all pink! The colours still show up but everything has a mega pink hue to it. I tried Component and the same thing.

My DVI still works like it should, as does my composite.

I have tried unplugging it, fiddling in the menus, all sorts of stuff and nothing works. I have tried my Macbook, PS2, PS3 and 360 and they all get the pink hue so it is the TV not the cables/systems.

Any other ideas?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Time for a new TV.

Is the pink on everything or just in the VGA and Component?

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Just in the VGA/Component.

I hope I don't need a new one. I just got it in November and I have a warranty and everything but if I never need to use the warranty I got, they give me the money back in store credit so to use it already after only 4 months is l-a-m-e. :(

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It sounds like a problem in processing the signals. Im gonna say one of the chips is bad if its only affecting half of the inputs.

What is the brand of the TV.

5. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Its a 19" Samsung

And thats what she looks like....

Attached Files:

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Does seem like it's only the separated analog inputs affected so something might have happened to the ADCs responsible for blue and green.

Have you tried resetting to factory settings? Could you just have somehow messed up the hues?

B

7. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I went through the 'picture' menu and messed around with the colours to no avail. it is weird tht it is only happening to VGA and Component but NOT to composite.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Its only affecting the analog signals. They are split into different controllers.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Composite's analog too, but probably handled by a different controller since it takes more to go from composite to digital RGB than component or VGA.

Just messing around with the colors might not be enough, a full factory reset would be a surer way to make sure it isn't a software glitch. (Imagine a buffer overflow that takes certain values outside the range where the UI wants them, so it can't bring them back, like the "hack" in http://blogs.csoonline.com/how_to_crash_an_in_flight_entertainment_system).

B

10. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I have no idea how to do a factory reset and I would wonder if that might have any effects on the extended warranty I got (?), If I can't fix it by Saturday I am gonna bite the bullet and take it in :(

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which model is it? You should be able to find the manual online and see if there's a "defaults" menu option. I believe I've seen such an option in the menus of my Samsung LCD-TV.

B

12. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Its the LN-S1951W. The manual is http://www.samsung.com/support/prod...pecode=&model=LN-S1951W&filetype=UM&language=
    there.

Although I don't see much about resetting anything. Maybe I will try giving their tech support a call.