Tv inside your Powermac!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dont Hurt Me, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Alchemy TV has announced a new pci card with a tv tuner built in that goes INSIDE your powermac./ sells for a little over a hundred bucks and is what i have been waiting for for years. thought i would share this with all of you that wish you had tv inside your mac.:) http://miglia.com/products/video/alchemytv/index.html

2. Icekey macrumors member

There have been external TV tuners from time to time. There seems to be only a minority who'd want a TV Tuner in their computers. Can't really see a market here, unless it supports HD

3. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im not so sure about that, i have been wanting to stay at my desk and watch tv for awhile on my mac but didnt want more cable clutter and another object sitting on my desk and in the way. This way just pop the card in and your mac is now a TV. They said they will start shipping oct21. mytv has had sorry reviews and the other options are a lot more money. Looks to me as a great way to get that TV. I mean heck they give those powermacs all those slots its about time someone did this.

4. MacFool macrumors newbie

The product has actually been available for a little while under the name Televio. Under the Televio name it cost $150, so the price drop is nice.

A key thing to remember is that this is a 5 volt PCI card, so isn't compatible with the Power Mac G5. It sounds like a 3.3 volt version of the card that would work with the PM G5 is in the works.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Kool, a way to pipe lightning strikes directly to the motherboard.

Around here we generally use cable boxes to protect the televisions, works great.

---

Though the digital VCR feature is nice.

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I had a tv tuner in two of my PCs, but the quality wasn't all that great and one of them fried and damaged the PCI slot and part of the motherboard during a mid-July storm...not fun and I stopped using them after that.

7. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Wow I never thought of that, but I am now officially terrified of TV cards.

8. MacFool macrumors newbie

Powerbook G5, did you have a surge protector on your cable line when you had the blowout?

There are some cheap surge protectors out there that include cable line protection, but I don't have any experience with how well they actually work. Here's one for 13 bucks: http://www.smarthome.com/4406.html

9. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Those cable surge protectors do help quite a bit for power surges. Our local cable company has a habit of brownouts and surges but a cable surge protector appears to protect the computer well enough to prevent damage. They will not protect against a direct lightning strike. However, they do usually include a supplemental warranty that covers connected equipment to cover the cost of replacement. Just make sure you send in the registration card.

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I had a surge protector with cable line surge protection, but it didn't seem to help since the card was still a bit BBQed in the PCI slot. I guess that's what you get for buying a cheap Wal-Mart surge protector. It's fine, though, it was an Intel tuner that was really crappy to begin with and the Gateway had so many problems that I had to replace every part of it, including the motherboard, so I got a new one for free, anyway.