Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icekey

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
There have been external TV tuners from time to time. There seems to be only a minority who'd want a TV Tuner in their computers. Can't really see a market here, unless it supports HD

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Im not so sure about that, i have been wanting to stay at my desk and watch tv for awhile on my mac but didnt want more cable clutter and another object sitting on my desk and in the way. This way just pop the card in and your mac is now a TV. They said they will start shipping oct21. mytv has had sorry reviews and the other options are a lot more money. Looks to me as a great way to get that TV. I mean heck they give those powermacs all those slots its about time someone did this.

MacFool

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2003
The product has actually been available for a little while under the name Televio. Under the Televio name it cost $150, so the price drop is nice.

A key thing to remember is that this is a 5 volt PCI card, so isn't compatible with the Power Mac G5. It sounds like a 3.3 volt version of the card that would work with the PM G5 is in the works.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Kool, a way to pipe lightning strikes directly to the motherboard.

Around here we generally use cable boxes to protect the televisions, works great.

---

Though the digital VCR feature is nice.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I had a tv tuner in two of my PCs, but the quality wasn't all that great and one of them fried and damaged the PCI slot and part of the motherboard during a mid-July storm...not fun and I stopped using them after that.

MacFool

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2003
Powerbook G5, did you have a surge protector on your cable line when you had the blowout?

There are some cheap surge protectors out there that include cable line protection, but I don't have any experience with how well they actually work. Here's one for 13 bucks: http://www.smarthome.com/4406.html

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
Those cable surge protectors do help quite a bit for power surges. Our local cable company has a habit of brownouts and surges but a cable surge protector appears to protect the computer well enough to prevent damage. They will not protect against a direct lightning strike. However, they do usually include a supplemental warranty that covers connected equipment to cover the cost of replacement. Just make sure you send in the registration card.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Originally posted by MacFool
Powerbook G5, did you have a surge protector on your cable line when you had the blowout?

There are some cheap surge protectors out there that include cable line protection, but I don't have any experience with how well they actually work. Here's one for 13 bucks: http://www.smarthome.com/4406.html

I had a surge protector with cable line surge protection, but it didn't seem to help since the card was still a bit BBQed in the PCI slot. I guess that's what you get for buying a cheap Wal-Mart surge protector. It's fine, though, it was an Intel tuner that was really crappy to begin with and the Gateway had so many problems that I had to replace every part of it, including the motherboard, so I got a new one for free, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.