TV is evil

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SkyBell, Sep 30, 2006.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I was searching through the archives, and found this post relating to a video of a Powermac G4 being destroyed:

"Reminds me of the most idiotic show I once saw. People had to bet some equipment of theirs in a game. If they win they'll get a newer, better and more expensive product than they had before. If they lose their product is destroyed. One time they visited a rather poor old lady who had an old black and white TV. They made here bet this thing and guess what they played, some kind of skill play that required precise movement of arms and fingers. She had no chance at all. And when they destroyed the TV she probably owned for more than 30 years she was crying. Great TV entertainement! What's next? Destroying some wheelchairs of handicaped people would probably be good for some laughs?"

Broke my heart.:(

2. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

She assumed the risk of losing the TV though before she bet it. It wasn't like anyone forced her to bet it.

3. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

uh, hello?

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I think the true vileness is that they singled out an old woman rather than someone who was capable of doing what they wanted. They shopped for someone they knew wouldn't be able to do what they were betted on doing.

5. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

What kind of game in what country is this where a TV show can make you do something? Well unless of course you signed a contract prior to participating in the show.

I'd like to hear the full back story on this show.

I'm not tying to sound mean or anything, but if I sign up for a show where I know I can lose something of my own and it says this in the contract that I signed with doing the show, I wouldn't expect anyone to feel bad for me when I lost whatever it was that I lost.

6. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yes, but being an old women she probley didnt understand fully

7. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

True... I could imagine all the lawyers trying to contact her after the show if that were the case.

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

well, think of it like this: it is television. There's no way the network would risk the negative publicity from something like that, so it's probably 99% certain they gave her a new telly anyway. It's kind of a mean trick, but that's the humor of it...if you happen to find that kind of thing funny.

9. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I wouldn't find that funny at all. [​IMG]

Shows like that should be banned. [​IMG]

10. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Then it sounds like a gameshow that would be on Comedy Central! Their games are terrible :D

Look, it's sad that the lady lost her tv. It's even sadder if she didn't "understand" the rules. But saying just because she's old she may not have understood is ageism. My grandma is 85 years old and more lucid than anyone i know. You don't have any proof that she didn't know the rules. If it was in a contract then she shouldn't have signed. If it wasn't, it was her choice to lose the TV. That's the risk you take.

It's sad, but you can't speculate on how cognitive she was of the rules....

11. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

True, but you can't help but feel sorry for her

12. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

TV projects many more 'evil' items than crappy game shows...justthink of the news - sure it provides info, but it also give people ideas on stuff to do...bad stuff that is...

13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada